Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
• Must be physically able to perform the tasks of the position.
• Must be able to communicate orally and in writing to exchange information.
• Must be able to stand, stoop, bend and stretch for long periods of time. Have the ability to perform medium to heavy physical labor, ability to use various cleaning equipment and products; ability to climb ladders and scaffolds.
• May be assigned to clean laboratories, operating rooms or hospital, school or custodial care settings that require a high degree of cleanliness and disinfectant processes that must be followed to minimize the spread of infection.
• The ability to shovel and remove snow from walkways and areas adjacent to buildings.
Departmental Operating Needs:
Candidates must effectively demonstrate:
• Their skills and competency for this position
• A working knowledge of the methods and equipment used in janitorial services, floor, building, and biohazard care, plus light maintenance work
• A positive attitude and a willingness to lead a small team of Cleaners
• An ability to effectively communicate expectations and performance requirements with team members
• Possess and have demonstrated positive customer service skills
• Be able to understand and follow written and/or oral instructions
Since the activities of other employees depend upon the availability of the employee in this position, reliable attendance is a factor that will be considered when filling this vacancy.
Duties Description Position Summary:
The University at Buffalo, department of Campus Operations is seeking a Janitor to perform a variety of cleaning and unskilled maintenance tasks, and assist with supervising lower-level cleaning staff. They are responsible for the cleaning and upkeep of assigned areas in university buildings, surrounding grounds, and walkways.
• Perform general cleaning and disinfection tasks
• Collect and remove trash, recycling, compost, and transport to centralized location for disposal
• Replace misplaced items, furniture, and equipment
• Washes floors, corridors, stairwells, walls, partitions, and windows using mops, detergents, brushes, and other cleaning devices
• Vacuums, strips and waxes floors, and shampoos carpets, using manual or mechanical equipment
• Scrubs and cleans restrooms and showers, using hand-operated equipment and cleaning agents; and unclogs toilets, traps, and sinks
• Replaces lightbulbs, and dusts or washes light fixtures and high places, such as ceilings, using ladders, other appropriate equipment, and tools
• Polishes wood and metal surfaces, fixtures, furniture, and equipment
• Moves, and arranges furniture and equipment in connection with cleaning tasks or in preparation for meetings, events, and other activities
• Sweeps, removes snow, and salts walkways using mechanical and manual equipment
• Reports and recommends necessary repairs and maintenance requiring skilled trades work to supervisor
• Prepares, mixes, and dilutes cleaning solutions following manufacturer directions
• Assists with the supervision of lower-level staff. Assigns tasks; provides instructions, training and assistance
• Demonstrates proper cleaning procedures
• Reviews work of teams
• Monitors time and attendance
• Other duties as assigned
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Additional Comments Additional Information:
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and in keeping with our commitment, encourages women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans to apply.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.