Minimum Qualifications For new to NYS candidates OR current NYS employees:
Four years of customer service experience that required independence in both verbal and written communication responsibilities; OR an associate degree or higher and two years of this experience.
For current NYS employees only:
One year of permanent, competitive class service in a title eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of Civil Service Law. Eligible titles include, but are not limited to: Administrative Assistant 1, Business Document Specialist 2, Motor Vehicle Consumer Services Representative, Licensing Examiner 1, Taxpayer Services Representative 1, Program Aide, Payroll Examiner 1.
Experience in the development or processing of insurance claims or responding to technical questions from policyholders or claimants.
Duties Description The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) is hiring multiple positions to support the Workers' Compensation and Disability Benefits business operations. Candidates hired for this position will be versatile in their duties to support both policyholder services and claims services for NYSIF.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain caseloads and assignments for specified policyholders and employers providing various services throughout a life cycle.
- Review all work products for accuracy and completeness and determine whether additional information is required.
- Accurately process caseloads and work in designated systems, efficiently enough to maintain and meet required deadlines which prevent the agency from incurring penalties.
- Work with policyholders to qualify and quantify an employee/claimant.
- Communicate with claimants, policyholders, medical providers, and various entities to gather information needed to process assigned work.
- Examine accident and medical reports to determine compensability and liability, seeking guidance and expertise as needed if complex medical issues arise, and initiate proactive follow ups for all updated information as needed.
- Conduct research to cross check current, existing, or past payments being provided to check the coordination of claims, if applicable.
- Provide any additional information required to assist various internal agency Departments in reviewing unique and/or complex scenarios and work with the Departments to implement the recommendations.
- Acquire an understanding of the NYS Workers’ Compensation Law, Disability Benefits Law and/or the Paid Family Leave Benefits Law, and all other applicable New York State laws, rules and regulations related to programmatic operations.
- Establish a comprehensive knowledge of the resources available to resolve issues and answer questions about assignments.
- Develop expertise and proficiency related to the NYS COVID-19 legislation authorizing sick leave for employees subject to a mandatory or precautionary order of quarantine or isolation due to COVID-19.
- Keep complete records and internal controls utilizing a variety of internal systems.
- Provide customer service to all claimants, policyholders, medical providers and brokers, and internal agency staff, responding in a timely manner to all inquiries from any source including telephone, email, letter, and web inquiry.
- Work with agency staff on special projects as directed.
Additional Comments Please note, depending on your qualifications, you may be eligible for permanent or provisional appointment. You may inquire with NYSIF HR about your eligibility if selected for an interview.
NYSIF has a telecommuting program.
This position may be designated 55 b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility.
The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) was established in 1914 as part of the original enactment of the New York State Workers’ Compensation Law. NYSIF's mission is to guarantee the availability of workers’ compensation insurance at the lowest possible cost to New York employers and to provide timely, appropriate indemnity and medical payments to injured workers, while maintaining a solvent fund. Since inception, NYSIF has fulfilled the dual roles for which it was created: to compete with other carriers to ensure a fair marketplace and to be a guaranteed source of coverage for employers who cannot secure coverage elsewhere.
NYSIF is the largest workers’ compensation carrier in New York State and among the top 10 largest workers’ compensation carriers in the nation, insuring approximately 139,000 policyholders, with more than $1.8 billion in annual earned premium and over $20 billion in assets. A self-supporting insurance carrier, NYSIF operates without taxpayer funding.
In addition to workers’ compensation insurance, NYSIF provides disability benefits coverage for off-the-job injuries to more than 56,000 New York employers. In 2018, NYSIF added paid family leave as a component of its disability benefits product, providing New Yorkers with job-protected, paid time away from work to care for their families.
NYSIF Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) prioritizes and champions diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) throughout our agency. NYSIF provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state, and local law. We believe that embracing our differences brings richness, new ideas and experiences to NYSIF, which energizes a creative and innovative work environment. We strive to foster a workplace where diverse individuals are able to participate fully in the decision-making process and have ample opportunity for advancement. We are committed to investing the necessary resources and attention to improving the engagement, retention, and promotion of the extraordinary talent we have.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingCandidates should email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title and Vacancy ID number in the subject line of your email. If current NYS employee, please list your official NYS civil service title in your submission.