ALB: One Commerce Plaza, Albany
Minimum Qualifications Appointment method:
Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer via Sections 70.1 or 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Information regarding transfer eligibility may be available on the Civil Service Career Mobility
Office website at http://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/.
55 b/c Appointment: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements of the Governor's Program to Hire Individuals and Veterans with Disabilities as described in Civil Service Law § 55b/c. Information about this program can be found here: https://www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/
Please Note that under Civil Service Law, an employee cannot have two consecutive upward 70.1 or 52.6 transfers without an intervening eligible list appointment if such transfers would exceed two salary grades.
Duties Description The New York State Department of Financial Services seeks to build an equitable, transparent, and resilient financial system that benefits individuals and supports business. Through engagement, data-driven regulation and policy, and operational excellence, the Department and its employees are responsible for empowering consumers and protecting them from financial harm; ensuring the health of the entities we regulate; driving economic growth in New York through responsible innovation; and preserving the stability of the global financial system.
The Department of Financial Services is seeking candidates for the position of Senior Attorney in the Virtual Currency Unit. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assists in drafting policy recommendations, and contributes extensively to the analysis of policy proposals, in consideration of DFS’s overall virtual currency-related priorities and policy landscape;
• Assists with reviewing, updating, and drafting internal policies and procedures;
• Conducts legal research and information gathering;
• Supports legal reviews of complex material changes to business and supporting legal documentation;
• Oversees and manages staff compliance with Project Sunlight reporting, including quarterly reports and Commission training;
• Reviews and processes applications for BitLicenses and Virtual Currency trust company charters, and participates in non-periodic supervision of regulated Virtual Currency entities, including applications to adopt material changes of business;
• Prepares comprehensive reports, including general findings, related to virtual currency entity regulatory obligations;
• Supports engagement with other domestic and foreign regulators of Virtual Currency; and
• Works on legal projects and initiatives as requested by the Virtual Currency Unit and Trust management.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,087 annual downstate adjustment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than December 31, 2023 to the email address listed below. Please include the Box # (SA-00291) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
Box (SA-00291) New York State Department of Financial Services Office of Human Resources Management One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301 Albany, NY 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Employment with New York State qualifies an individual for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). This program forgives the remaining balance on any Direct Student Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time for a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization. To learn more about the program and whether you would qualify, please visit: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Office of Employee Relations at (518) 473-3130 or via email at email@example.com.