Minimum Qualifications Reassignment - Currently in the title and an employee of DEC
Reinstatement Eligible - Previously held the title on a permanent competitive basis
Preferred Quals: Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required to communicate with the public, other emergency response personnel/agencies, regional staff and central office staff. As such, the ability to deal with difficult people and/or strong personalities is a must. Must also have the ability to organize and solve problems.
Division of Environmental Remediation experience working on petroleum spill response, petroleum/chemical bulk storage and/or remediation and knowledge of GIS is preferred.
Duties Description 1. Supervise Region 1 Division of Environmental Remediation staff in the Stony Brook office in the following programs: Emergency Spill Response; Petroleum Remediation; Petroleum, Chemical, and Major Oil Storage Facility Bulk Storage. Strong technical and scientific knowledge of subsurface contaminate migration and hydrogeology are required. Managing both “routine” spill events (e.g., leaking petroleum storage tank) and major events (e.g., large spills, major storms that result in spills, etc.). Provide oversight of Bulk Storage Unit regarding inspections, registrations, licensing, public outreach, enforcement, and other programmatic issues.
2. Prepare Annual Work Plan to meet Regional and Central Office program goals and priorities. Give clear direction to staff regarding assigned responsibilities. Distribute workload equitably according to staff strengths to establish an effective and efficient work unit.
3. Ensure staff review/approve contractor payment packages and update appropriate databases. Review/approve Investigative Summary Reports (ISR's), when applicable, at the time of spill closure, and ensure Interim ISR's are submitted when appropriate to the Oil Spill Fund.
4. Ensure time and attendance reports are submitted on time, process travel expense forms in a timely manner; provide guidance and direction regarding compliance with Department regulations, policy, and direction.
5. Keep Regional Director, Assistant Regional Director, Regional Engineer, and other DEC program managers informed of program accomplishments, emerging issues, and high-profile situations through effective written and verbal communication.
6. Assist the Regional Emergency Response Coordinator (RERC) and Deputy Regional Emergency Response Coordinators in response to emergency management events including but not limited floods, and other major weather-related events, etc. Act in the place of the RERC when appropriate (large chemical or petroleum spills, significant vehicular accidents, etc.). Coordinate with DEC’s Emergency Management Unit, as necessary. Participate in mock emergency management events. Take appropriate emergency response and incident command training.
Additional Comments Must have a valid driver’s license or demonstrate the ability to meet the transportation needs of the position. Use of personal protection equipment, including a respirator, will be required. Must be able to negotiate difficult terrain Must be able to work in remote areas. Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions. Overtime may be required. Overnight travel may be required. Weekends and holidays may be required. Must be available for emergency response. Must be available to respond to after-hours emergencies. Must successfully complete (or have completed) the 40-hour OSHA 1910.120 training course and all other required training. Must complete an annual Health and Safety Program including medical monitoring, fit testing, and 40 (or 8) hour OSHA HAZWOPER certification. Must be able to lift and move objects up to 50 pounds. Telecommuting may be available, will be discussed at interview.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease email/mail your resume to the above. Be sure to include Posting #23-138829 on your resume and also in the subject line of your email or it may not be accepted. If qualified based on college credit, include college transcript.