75 South Broadway
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable on appropriate Civil Service eligible list.
Candidates must have permanently served at least one year in a title designated as appropriate for transfer in accordance with Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Transfer eligible titles include but may not be limited to: Security Services Assistant 1.
You must take and pass a Civil Service examination in order to be considered for this position.
On or before the date of the examination, the candidate must have either:
1. possession of a current Security Guard registration card issued by the New York State Department of State (DOS), AND six months of subsequent experience as a Security Guard;
2. six months of experience as a police officer or peace officer and possession of a current DOS Security Guard registration card;
3. six months of active service in the United States military performing security duties at a base or vessel, an honorable discharge, and possession of a current DOS Security Guard registration card.
Candidates must meet established physical and medical requirements for appointment to the position.
Duties Description Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
• Opening and closing of the building
• Protecting occupants of buildings or offices from outside annoyances and interference by unauthorized persons
• Monitoring and maintaining security systems
• Conducting scheduled rounds to control access to buildings and restricted areas
• Preventing trespassing, loitering, theft and property damage
• Appearing as a witness against person(s) arrested
• Providing assistance to clients by directing them to appropriate locations
• Observing all parts of an assigned office
• Interviewing witnesses to incidents and taking written statements and preparing reports involving incidents or accidents
• Appointees may be required to cover special security hearings and work various shifts and unscheduled overtime when necessary
• Some travel required- 10%
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
328 State Street
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume which lists your actual Civil Service title and salary grade level to HRM@WCB.ny.gov (email applications are preferred). It is important that you reference WCB Item#4595 in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. (Please do not reference the Vacancy ID No.)
If you are an active candidate on the Security Officer Civil Service eligible list, please note this in your cover letter.