11 Bear Mountain Bridge Rd
Minimum Qualifications This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Minimum Qualifications: Two years of experience in maintenance or mechanical work under the supervision of a skilled trades worker;
Completion of an appropriate two-year technical school.*
Required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State.
May be required to acquire and maintain a military driver’s license to operate military vehicles and equipment. (This is determined by work location and NGB standards).
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Must be able to read and write in English.
Must be able to operate and maintain tools, machinery and equipment required for craft to which assigned.
Must be able to work comfortably at heights such as climbing ladders, working on scaffolds, platforms and lifts.
Must be able to push, pull, lift and carry heavy objects and equipment of at least 50 pounds.
Must be able to work in confined spaces in accordance with requirements.
Must be able to work outside in various temperatures and inclement weather for extended periods of time.
In accordance with NGB standards, will be required to obtain and maintain a favorable background investigation, and have an appropriate clearance to allow access to computer networks and restricted areas to determine suitability, loyalty, and trustworthiness. Minimally a National Agency Check with Inquiry (NACI) will be completed – dependent on current regulation, a SECRET clearance may be required.
* Other combinations of education and work experience, including military, may be considered, however, candidate must demonstrate direct relevance to the job duties noted above.
High School Graduate or GED equivalent and college level credits.
Expertise or certification in a trade and/or a proven record of working on complex construction or maintenance assignments.
At all times, the employee MUST maintain minimum standards in accordance with current statutes, agency requirements and directives. Failure to do so will subject the individual to disciplinary action and/or termination.
NOTE: Position standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the position described. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by the incumbent. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Position Standards were written. Please contact State Human Resources Directorate for any further information regarding the position requirements.
Duties Description This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Duties and Responsibilities: Under direction of the supervisor, Maintenance Assistants perform semi-skilled activities and tasks typical of a variety of trade specialties such as in the areas of carpentry, mechanical, electrical, motor equipment or painting. Such tasks involve the use of hand and/or portable power tools, shop equipment, measuring and testing instruments and other equipment to perform semi-skilled maintenance, repairs, renovations and alterations. The position may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel. Incumbents of this position are considered essential personnel.
The position performs responsibilities in accordance with agency and labor contract duties and responsibilities, and National Guard Bureau (NGB) standards, and where applicable NGB requirements in the Master Cooperative Agreement between NGB and DMNA – current and as amended.
Maintenance Assistants may perform the activities of this class with considerable independence and are expected to accomplish assignments thoroughly and with professionalism. Assignments may include but are not limited to the following:
• Performs routine repetitive semi-skilled maintenance and repair of plumbing, electrical, carpentry, masonry and other facility services and equipment.
• Performs general grounds maintenance tasks such as: clearing sites, mowing lawns, maintaining roads and sidewalks, snow and ice removal, collection/pick-up of trash and other obstructions from in and around the building and surrounding areas.
• Performs general facilities maintenance such as: cleaning common areas, offices and restrooms, facility trash pick-up, painting and moving furniture.
• Maintains automotive equipment and other machinery.
• May perform journeymen level activities under supervision or after receiving detailed instructions.
• As directed, may supervise appropriate subordinates in order to accomplish required tasks and duties.
• When applicable, the individual will assist with maintenance requirements for the Nonmilitary Use Program.
• May perform duties at other DMNA facilities.
• Periodic travel will be required.
• Overtime will be required.
• Use of computers may be required, depending on work location.
• Complete and attend additional training as required.
• Other job related duties as assigned.
• Incumbents of this position are considered essential personnel.
Job Requirements: • Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
• Ability to use the tools, machines, equipment and materials of the trade or trades to which assigned.
• Ability to work in confined spaces in accordance with requirements.
• Ability to follow directions, ensure follow through and completion of assignments and seek assistance or report concerns when needed.
• Ability to work independently or with other individuals in a project/team setting in accordance with supervisory guidance and direction.
• Ability to get along with and interact well with different groups of people, including co-workers, management, both Federal and State personnel and the public utilizing the facility.
• Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
Additional Comments This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for interview, submit a cover letter and resume. In e-mail subject line and cover letter indicate the title, location, vacancy announcement number of the position for which you are applying. Ensure to clearly note how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Please be certain to note your specific license or certification to meet requirements.
If you are a former public employee retired within New York State currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your cover letter.
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via E-mail (preferred method), FAX, or Mail. ENSURE TO COPY E-MAIL ADDRESS EXACTLY.
E-mail to: email@example.com
FAX to: (518) 786-4969
For Questions: (518) 786-4830
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs
State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, New York 12110-3514
POSITION WILL BE POSTED UNTIL FILLED.
VAGUENESS AND OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.
APPLICANTS WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE IN RELATION TO THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION.