Minimum Qualifications Education Level Required: Bachelor’s degree; MPP
Relevant Experience Preferred:
• 4-10 years of work experience, with a minimum of three years’ direct experience in one or more of the following fields: economic development, government, public policy, government or legislative affairs, operations, procurement of public services, grant administration, or related business or not-for-profit area
• Expertise in telecommunication or infrastructure policy, particularly policy analysis and the ability to connect legislation to program design
• An established network of relationships with other subject matter experts on broadband and telecommunications policy
• Experience working on complex projects and collaborating across multiple teams and organizations
• Ability to communicate complicated information clearly and effectively to stakeholders with varying levels of subject matter knowledge
• Demonstrated interest in and passion for broadband infrastructure and digital equity, adoption, and literacy programs
• A passion for closing the digital divide in New York and ensuring that solutions pursued by CAO are equitable and just
• Deep understanding of and experience with government and policy operations in New York at the State, regional, and local levels
• Experience strategically engaging with diverse stakeholders
• Organized and detail-oriented, able to juggle multiple types of work simultaneously and quickly context-switch
• Excellent communication and public presentation skills
• Ability to travel in support of CAO projects and stakeholder engagement events
Duties Description BASIC FUNCTION:
The ConnectALL Office (CAO) within Empire Development Corporation seeks candidates for a full-time Senior Policy Advisor. CAO was established by the 2022 NYS Wired Act to transform New York State's digital infrastructure and connect all New Yorkers through the internet. CAO oversees the statewide digital equity plan and 5 signature grant programs to invest over $1 billion across the state.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of ConnectALL, the Senior Policy Advisor will be the principal subject matter expert on broadband policy for the ConnectALL Office. The Senior Policy Advisor will review and develop state and federal legislation to advance the ConnectALL mission. This role will support the development of model permitting policies and engage with county and municipal governments and public authorities on relevant permitting and regulatory matters. The Senior Policy Advisor will be a key member of the team designing ConnectALL program and addressing barriers to broadband deployment and digital equity.
Advise the Senior Vice President on relevant policy issues that that may impact ConnectALL programs and New York State’s broadband industry.
• Maintain knowledge of broadband programs and policy best practices nationally and internationally; conduct research and outreach to identify programmatic and policy best practices for potential adoption in New York; formulate recommendations and case studies for internal review
• Monitor State and federal legislation for potential impact on ConnectALL programs and New York State’s broadband industry; develop briefings and advisory materials for federal and State legislators
• Develop policy recommendations and position papers and synthesize stakeholder perspectives
• Formulate model policy documents and liaise with county and local governments to streamline broadband deployment
• Lead development of public comment materials for submission to federal agencies
• Advise on program strategy and design, including strategy and structure of public-private partnerships
• Liaise with Empire State Development Legal, Intergovernmental and Federal affairs teams and support or lead engagement with elected officials and their staff
• Represent the ConnectALL Office in public-private sector discussions and conferences and engage with stakeholders to understand perspectives on policy issues
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingExternal Candidates: Please attach cover letter and resume. To apply copy & paste URL in browser: https://bit.ly/3APr8cp
Internal Candidates: Please apply through ADP using the Myself/Talent menu and submit your cover letter and resume for consideration
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY