Minimum Qualifications Education Level Required: Bachelor’s degree;
Relevant Experience Required:
• 7-10 years of work experience, with a minimum of five years’ direct experience in one or more of the following fields: wireless related business or not-for-profit area, economic development, government, public policy, government, or legislative affairs
• Expertise in wireless and telecommunication policy, particularly policy analysis and the ability to connect legislation to program design
• Expertise in mobile wireless business practices, particularly related to wireless siting, tower development, and other business decisions
• Experience working on complex projects and collaborating across multiple teams and organizations
• Experience in research and development or management of technology innovation projects
• Ability to communicate complicated information clearly and effectively to stakeholders with varying levels of subject matter knowledge
• Demonstrated interest in and passion for communication infrastructure and digital equity, adoption, and literacy programs
• A passion for closing the digital divide in New York and ensuring that solutions pursued by CAO are equitable and just
• Deep understanding of and experience with government and policy operations in New York at the State, regional, and local levels
• Experience strategically engaging with diverse stakeholders
• Organized and detail-oriented, able to juggle multiple types of work simultaneously and quickly context-switch
• Excellent communication and public presentation skills
• Ability to travel in support of CAO projects and stakeholder engagement events
Duties Description BASIC FUNCTION:
The ConnectALL Office (CAO) within Empire Development Corporation seeks candidates for a full-time Director of Wireless Planning and Cellular Coverage. CAO was established by the 2022 NYS Wired Act to transform New York State's digital infrastructure and connect all New Yorkers through the internet. CAO oversees the statewide digital equity plan and 5 signature grant programs to invest over $1 billion across the state.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Broadband Deployment in the ConnectALL Office, the Director will coordinate implementation of the State’s Cellular Planning Task Force recommendations and drive the deployment of cellular service throughout the state. The Director will be responsible for coordinating planning and policy with other public agencies, private sector partners, and ConnectALL staff and consultants. The Director will be the ConnectALL Office subject matter expert on mobile wireless business practices and technology and will work with the ConnectALL Senior Policy Advisor to develop model permitting and siting policies for state, county, and local government entities. The Director will oversee pilot projects and other initiatives to address gaps in mobile coverage across the state.
Advise the Senior Vice President and Assistant Vice President on relevant policy and regulatory issues and developments in the wireless industry that may impact ConnectALL programs and New York State’s wireless sector.
• Maintain knowledge of wireless and cellular programs and policy best practices nationally and internationally; conduct research and outreach to identify programmatic and policy best practices for potential adoption in New York; formulate recommendations and case studies for internal review
• Develop strategies and initiatives for the planning and development of New York State’s wireless infrastructure
• Monitor State and federal legislation for potential impact on ConnectALL programs and New York State’s wireless industry; develop briefings and advisory materials for federal and State legislators
• Formulate policy recommendations and position papers; lead development of public comment materials for submission to federal agencies
• Advise on program strategy and design, including strategy and structure of pilot projects and other public-private partnerships
• Liaise with Empire State Development Legal, Intergovernmental and Federal Affairs teams and with key state agencies
• Participate in public-private sector task forces and committees and engage with stakeholders to understand perspectives on policy issues; synthesize stakeholder inputs to formulate recommendations
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingExternal Candidates: Please attach cover letter and resume. To apply copy & paste URL in browser: https://bit.ly/3APr8cp
Internal Candidates: Please apply through ADP using the Myself/Talent menu and submit your cover letter and resume for consideration
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY