Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
The candidate must meet one of the following requirements:
• Four years of full-time experience in a trade under a skilled tradesperson which would provide training equivalent to that given in a training, apprenticeship,
• Or equivalent program;
• Or an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of technical courses in skilled trades at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services.
When required to operate motor vehicles, candidates must possess a valid New York State driver’s license appropriate for the type of vehicle to be operated.
• Four Years Building Automation Systems (BAS) field experience.
• Certifications from Siemens or Andover Controls BAS training schools
• Strong mechanical aptitude
• Strong Information Technology aptitude
Bending, twisting, ability to lift 50 pounds, climb ladders, access equipment located on mezzanines, catwalks, basements and crawlspaces. Ability to work off ladders, scaffolding, in confined spaces and/or where air monitoring may be required. Work in loud/noisy dusty/dirty environments. Work with or around high-pressure steam, high-voltage electrical systems and rotating equipment.
Departmental Operating Needs:
The candidate must have demonstrated experience and understanding of commercial/institutional mechanical and electrical equipment, systems, controls and sequence of operations that support building energy management. This equipment includes but is not limited to DDC controllers, air handling units, roof top units, VAV boxes, fan coil units, fume hoods, unit heaters, exhaust fans, variable speed drives, humidifiers and all other institutional equipment and systems.
The candidate must demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to:
• Diagnose, service, repair and replace direct digital control (DDC) building automation equipment (BAS)
• Perform repairs and troubleshooting of various types of control devices
• Replaces parts, reassembles and checks performance of energy management equipment
• Read and understand prints and schematics
• Must communicate well with other employees
• Have a working knowledge of computers and equipment used in the field of control systems
• Must be able to understand and follow written and/or oral instructions.
• Must be able to communicate well with the entire campus community and demonstrate a willingness to provide customer service and support when advised of problems and equipment malfunctions.
• Be willing and able to respond to after hour calls resulting from equipment and system failures that may arise at any time of day or any day of the week
• The incumbent may be required to work during adverse weather conditions to ensure continuous operation of all BMS and HVAC systems.
• Since the activities of other employees depend upon the availability of the employee in this position, reliable attendance is a factor that will be considered when filling this vacancy.
Duties Description Position Summary:
In this position the candidate should expect to spend a majority of their time in the field responding to daily service requests (work orders) and scheduled preventative maintenance in support of the University’s energy management equipment. This equipment consist of the building automation direct digital controllers, air handlers, VAV boxes, fin radiation, fan coils, exhaust fans, heat pumps, humidifiers, heat recovery units, and other heating, cooling and ventilation systems on campus.
Key responsibilities include:
• Respond to daily service requests (work orders) and scheduled preventative maintenance
• Perform a variety of trouble shooting, installation, repair, and maintenance tasks.
• Diagnose, troubleshoot and service building automation systems (BAS) and electrical/mechanical equipment of all types found on campus. These are mechanical, electrical and computerized equipment used to perform energy management and climate control.
• Use computer to document service work performed
• Operate computers used in the field of direct digital controls (D.D.C.)
• Perform the removal or installation of electrical/mechanical building control equipment and systems
• Involved in all facets of small mechanical equipment and building control system (BCS) projects
• Provide high level of customer service
• Expected to perform emergency service promptly when-notified
• Read and understand prints and schematics
• Work with and direct outside contractors when necessary
In some cases the Trade Generalist will be responsible for directing a Maintenance Assistant who will assist in the field tasks.
The candidate must detail their qualifications and submit appropriate documentation with their application to clearly explain and demonstrates their skills and competency for this position
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Additional Comments Additional Information:
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and in keeping with our commitment, encourages women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans to apply.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.