Minimum Qualifications Basic Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree with strong academic qualifications; MBA and/or CFA a plus.
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant or similar experience in a credit role and strong preference for expertise covering banks and other financial institutions, preferably at a “buy-side” institution.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong financial modeling skills and thorough understanding of accounting and financial statement analysis.
• Effective organizational and time management skills; capacity to work on multiple projects at once and meet deadlines.
• Strong computer proficiency (MS Office. Bloomberg and Capital IQ) and ability to learn new software.
• Strong technical skills and intellectual curiosity.
• Working knowledge of investment principles, products and markets.
• Desire to work in a highly collaborative environment with various stakeholders.
Please be advised that the New York State Insurance Fund does not offer sponsorship for employment visas to employees or potential employees. Candidates sponsored for employment by an organization should be aware of their sponsorship status and the relevant expiration date(s) of that sponsorship before applying to this position.
Duties Description Description:
The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF), with over $20 billion of assets under management, is seeking an experienced credit analyst, preferably with in-depth knowledge of developed-market banks and financial institutions, to assist in managing its corporate bond portfolio of approximately $8 billion. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Senior Corporate Credit Analysts are sector specialists who work closely with the Chief Credit Officer and the Corporate PM/trading team to identify sound investment opportunities within their assigned sectors.
• Develop fundamental and market views on assigned portfolio names and sectors.
• Communicate credit opinions and investment recommendations, including relative value thoughts, to the PMs, trader and other constituencies within NYSIF.
• Monitor creditworthiness of corporate credits within assigned sectors by identifying risks in a timely manner to maximize risk-adjusted returns. Keep abreast of industry and market developments.
• Analyze quarterly earnings and participate in significant company-sponsored conference calls. Produce timely written quarterly reports on individual credits.
• Maintain updated financial models with projections. Assign credit ratings and outlooks to credits under coverage.
• Review bond indentures, covenants and other terms related to bond offerings and corporate actions.
• Maintain dialogues with other buy-side, sell-side and rating agency analysts to enhance depth of perspective. Attend important industry conferences and calls and relay key highlights to the team.
• Collaborate with NYSIF colleagues and assist the broader Investment team on key initiatives and other needed duties.
Additional Comments Fringe Benefits:
• Competitive Compensation
• Future Career Growth Potential
• Open and Supportive Team-Based Environment
• Vacation, Personal, and Sick Leave Accruals
• Paid State and Federal Holidays
• Full Medical, Vision, and Dental
• Retirement Options
• Possibility of Telecommuting, Flextime, and Alternative Work Schedules
The targeted income range for this position is $200,000 to $225,000, based upon the candidate’s individual experience. Please note that NYSIF does not offer bonus programs as part of our compensation program.
The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) was established in 1914 as part of the original enactment of the New York State Workers’ Compensation Law. NYSIF's mission is to guarantee the availability of workers’ compensation insurance at the lowest possible cost to New York employers and to provide timely, appropriate indemnity and medical payments to injured workers, while maintaining a solvent fund. Since inception, NYSIF has fulfilled the dual roles for which it was created: to compete with other carriers to ensure a fair marketplace and to be a guaranteed source of coverage for employers who cannot secure coverage elsewhere.
NYSIF is the largest workers’ compensation carrier in New York State and among the top 10 largest workers’ compensation carriers in the nation, insuring approximately 139,000 policyholders, with more than $1.8 billion in annual earned premium and over $20 billion in assets. A self-supporting insurance carrier, NYSIF operates without taxpayer funding.
In addition to workers’ compensation insurance, NYSIF provides disability benefits coverage for off-the-job injuries to more than 56,000 New York employers. In 2018, NYSIF added paid family leave as a component of its disability benefits product, providing New Yorkers with job-protected, paid time away from work to care for their families.
NYSIF Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) prioritizes and champions diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) throughout our agency. NYSIF provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state, and local law. We believe that embracing our differences brings richness, new ideas and experiences to NYSIF, which energizes a creative and innovative work environment. We strive to foster a workplace where diverse individuals are able to participate fully in the decision-making process and have ample opportunity for advancement. We are committed to investing the necessary resources and attention to improving the engagement, retention, and promotion of the extraordinary talent we have.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.