Minimum Qualifications Minimum Requirements
Education Level required: J. D. or LLB from an accredited law school; admission to New York State Bar
Relevant experience required: Minimum of 5 years of legal experience. Litigation experience and or experience as an ALJ preferred.
Knowledge preferred: Litigation, familiarity with administrative hearings and the New York State Administrative Procedure Act (SAPA).
Excellent writing, research, listening, and communication skills.
Must be proficient in video conferencing including Webex and Zoom, MS Office suite of products including Outlook and Word, Westlaw, Lexis Nexis and Adobe Acrobat.
Duties Description BASIC FUNCTION:
Basic Function: Conduct pre-hearing conferences, conduct hearings, adjudicate written appeals, issue recommended decisions in cases arising from appeals of denials of certification as a Minority and Women Owned Business Enterprise (MWBE) by New York State’s Division of Minority and Women’s Business Development (DMWBD).
• Work under the direction of the Chief Administrative Law Judge. Conduct hearings by remote means and/or in-person as required or as requested, evaluate evidence, make findings of fact and conclusions of law, maintain proper administrative procedures.
• Rule on objections, evidence admissibility, and adjournment requests.
• Listen to parties, determine credibility, and weigh evidence.
• Apply appropriate policies, regulations, and law to facts.
• Provide recommended decisions after hearings and/or written appeals based on the relevant laws and regulations. Rule on motions, receive evidence and testimony.
• Draft timely, legally sufficient, and “signature-ready” decisions.
• Conduct settlement conferences.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingExternal Candidates: to apply copy and paste URL in browser: https://bit.ly/3APr8cp
Internal Candidates: Please apply through ADP through the Myself/Talent menu
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY