800 North Pearl Street
Minimum Qualifications You must be currently reachable on the appropriate eligible list for this title, eligible under the 55 b/c program (see below), or eligible to transfer to this title under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Please note that your Bachelor’s degree must be supplemented by 24 undergraduate or graduate semester credit hours in accounting and/or auditing.
*Note that courses such as business law, economics, statistics, and most finance courses, although taken as part of an accounting curriculum, cannot be counted toward the 24 semester credit hours.
Depending on qualifications, you may be required to serve a 1 or 2-year traineeship that leads to the full level grade 18 position.
For a 70.1 transfer to a State Program Examiner 1 (Fiscal), SG-18, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 16 or above.
70.1 Transfer to a trainee 2:
For a 70.1 transfer to the trainee 2, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 14 or above.
70.1 Transfer to a trainee 1:
For a 70.1 transfer to the trainee 1, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 12 or above.
To determine if your current Civil Service title is eligible for transfer to this title, visit the Career Mobility GOT-IT website: Career Mobility Office » GOT-IT (ny.gov)
Appointments via transfer must not result in a second, consecutive transfer with an advancement of more than two S-grades or one M-grade.
This position may be designated 55 b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility.
For 55 b/c appointment, you must:
• Possess the minimum qualifications for the selected title as established by the Department of Civil Service and listed on the most recent exam announcement. State Program Examiner Trainee » Department of Civil Service (ny.gov)
• Meet the applicable minimal mental and/or physical requirements for the job (with a reasonable accommodation, if necessary)
• Have a current Eligibility Letter from the NYS Department of Civil Service, www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/, and be able to provide it to the Human Resources Office upon request.
*If you are currently 55b/c eligible and possess a bachelor’s degree, we encourage you to apply for this position.
Duties Description The Office of Internal Audit provides the New York State Comptroller with independent and objective assurance and consulting services for the programs and operations of the Office of the State Comptroller (OSC), including the New York State and Local Retirement System, the New York State and Local Police and Fire Retirement System, and the New York State Common Retirement Fund (collectively known as the System), in order to assist the Comptroller in the effective discharge of his responsibilities to the State of New York and to all the constituents of his Office.
All activities of the Office of Internal Audit shall be conducted in compliance with applicable professional standards and ethics, including the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing, the Institute of Internal Auditors Code of Ethics, all applicable laws, and Standards for Internal Control of the State of New York, and all OSC Executive Orders and Policies related to ethics.
Description of Tasks Performed to Complete Activity:
• Performing audits by preparing for and participating in audit related meetings including scoping, opening, and closing conferences.
• Utilizing automated workpaper software to document audit work performed including audit plans, risk/control matrices, audit programs, sampling plans, potential observations, and audit reports.
• Analyzing, evaluating, and documenting management’s design of internal controls ensuring the controls accurately capture the detailed process under audit as well as the key risks (inherent and residual) which the internal controls mitigate.
• Identifying control weaknesses and developing potential recommendations to improve the design of the controls.
• Conducting detailed testing of management’s controls in place to determine the level of compliance with the design of the controls.
• Ensuring that audit work and the related supporting documentation comply with professional auditing standards and adequately support any conclusions reached.
• Clearing applicable supervisory coaching notes.
• Identifying, with management’s input, insightful recommendations for improving the function under audit.
• Preparing the initial draft of the proposed audit report for Internal Audit management.
• Keeping the Audit Supervisor or Manager adequately informed of the engagement status and any observations or potential issues.
Additional Comments Desired Competencies:
• Knowledge of general auditing standards.
• Ability to organize audit assignments and meet deadlines.
• Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
The Office of the New York State Comptroller (OSC) supports telecommuting where it is reasonable to do so based upon the agency’s mission and operational needs. Generally, employees new to OSC will be restricted from telecommuting for at least 8 calendar weeks. After the initial 8 calendar week restriction, if an employee’s duties and work performance are aligned with telecommuting they may be allowed to do so. Upon approval to telecommute, OSC employees may telecommute up to 5 days per pay period.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street, 12th Floor
Notes on ApplyingSubmit a clear, concise cover letter and resume stating how you meet the above minimum qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than December 21, 2023. Reference Item #00147-OER-JMB in the subject line and on the cover letter for proper routing.
If you have questions about this vacancy, please contact this Division representative:
Division contact: DeRena Thompson email@example.com
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section only. The OER ID # should not be included.