Minimum Qualifications This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Two years of experience in the operation of construction and/or maintenance equipment, or other vehicles in excess of 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) with air brakes and manual transmission.
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of New York. May be required to utilize vehicles for site visits and other travel. Must report any changes in driver’s license status to supervisory chain of command.
May be required to acquire and maintain a military driver’s license to operate military vehicles and equipment in accordance with NGB standards to include medical evaluation requirements – current and as amended.
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Must be able to read and write in English.
Must be able to operate and maintain tools, machinery and equipment required for craft to which assigned.
Must be able to push, pull, lift and carry heavy objects and equipment of at least 50 pounds.
Must be able to work outside in various temperatures and inclement weather for extended periods of time.
In accordance with NGB standards, will be required to obtain and maintain a favorable background investigation, and have an appropriate clearance to allow access to computer networks and restricted areas to determine suitability, loyalty, and trustworthiness. Minimally a National Agency Check with Inquiry (NACI) will be completed - dependent on current regulation, a SECRET clearance may be required.
* Other combinations of education and work experience, including military, may be considered, however, candidate must demonstrate direct relevance to the job duties noted above.
At all times, the employee MUST maintain minimum standards in accordance with current agency requirements and directives noted above; failure to do so will subject the individual to disciplinary action, including possible termination.
NOTE: Position standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the position described. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by the incumbent. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Position Standards were written. Please contact State Human Resources Directorate for any further information regarding the position requirements.
Duties Description This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor for projects and instructions, the Construction Equipment Operator operates a variety of self-propelled and other equipment in the maintenance and repair of roads and grounds and in the control and removal of snow and ice. Such equipment includes backhoe, bulldozer, forklifts, loader, sweeper, snowplow with rollover and wing attachments, farm tractor and dump trucks. Incumbents of this position are considered essential personnel.
Performs tasks indigenous to equipment operated according to instructions received from the Maintenance Supervisor who makes work assignments, provides general direction on how the work should be performed, and assigns equipment and materials to be used. Work is checked in progress and at completion for adherence to instructions and standards.
The position performs responsibilities in accordance with all current and amended, DMNA policies and procedures, federal and state statutes, and where applicable, the contract bargaining agreement and requirements of the National Guard Bureau (NGB), specifically the Master Cooperative Agreement (MCA) and supporting regulations. The position may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel.
Specifically, duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Checks fluid levels, tire pressure, safety devices, control mechanisms, and friction adjustments prior to operation.
• Mounts, adjusts, and dismounts major assemblies such as plows, blades, mowers, and salt spreaders.
• Starts, stops, steers, and controls equipment and its attachments in a safe, efficient, and effective manner to perform assigned tasks.
• Monitors gauges and fluid levels of equipment during operation.
• Maintains daily records of work performed and materials used.
• Performs physical labor tasks as required.
• Performs preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and assists mechanics in equipment maintenance and repair.
• Pumps gas or other fuel, adds or drains water and/or antifreeze to radiator, oil to crankcase, air to tires, and hydraulic fluid to reservoirs.
• Changes oil and lubricates, changes tires, changes spark plugs, replaces burned out of broken lamp bulbs, and replaces oil, fuel, air, or hydraulic filters.
Assists mechanics in removing and installing heavy items such as engines and transmissions.
• Uses a variety of hand tools such as wrenches, pliers, and screwdrivers to perform routine repairs, preventive maintenance, and operational adjustments on equipment.
• Washes or steam cleans trucks and other equipment.
• May be called upon to provide on-the-job training and instruction to other workers in the operation and maintenance of equipment and machinery.
• Incumbents of this position are considered essential personnel.
• Will complete and attend training as required.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of the operation of a variety of self-propelled and other equipment.
• Basic knowledge of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law as it applies to the safe and legal operation of assigned equipment.
• Basic knowledge of the routine maintenance, adjustments, and repairs needed by equipment.
• Ability to operate assigned equipment in a safe and effective manner.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to perform heavy physical labor.
• Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness.
Additional Comments This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for interview, submit a cover letter and resume. In e-mail subject line and cover letter indicate the title, location, vacancy announcement number of the position for which you are applying. Ensure to clearly note how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Please be certain to note any specific licenses or certifications in a skilled trade.
If you are a former public employee retired within New York State currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your cover letter.
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via E-mail (preferred method), FAX, or Mail. ENSURE TO COPY E-MAIL ADDRESS EXACTLY.
E-mail to: email@example.com
FAX to: (518) 786-4969
For Questions: (518) 786-4830
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs
State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, New York 12110-3514
POSITION WILL BE POSTED UNTIL FILLED.
VAGUENESS AND OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.