NYC: One State Street
Minimum Qualifications Preferred Qualifications
• A bachelors degree and at least 10 years of banking experience with strong knowledge of banking policies and procedures and bank examination standards and processes.
• At least 5 years of managerial supervision with a demonstrated ability to supervise large teams.
• Superior written and oral communication skills and strong analytical skills.
• Strong intellectual, analytical, and management skills.
This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class. As such, the incumbent of this position would serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
Duties Description The New York State Department of Financial Services seeks to build an equitable, transparent, and resilient financial system that benefits individuals and supports business. Through engagement, data-driven regulation and policy, and operational excellence, the Department and its employees are responsible for empowering consumers and protecting them from financial harm; ensuring the health of the entities we regulate; driving economic growth in New York through responsible innovation; and preserving the stability of the global financial system.
The Department of Financial Services is seeking candidates for the position of Deputy Superintendent for Community and Regional Banks. Reporting to the Executive Deputy Superintendent of Banking, the Deputy Superintendent of Community and Regional Banks will assist the Executive Deputy Superintendent of Banking and the Superintendent of Financial Services with regulatory and supervisory issues related to the regulatory remit of the Community and Regional Banks (CRB) business unit.
CRB supervises more than 75 deposit-taking institutions, including commercial banks, credit unions, savings banks, charitable organizations and holding companies of depository institutions. Institutions are examined by CRB examiners for safety and soundness and compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Examinations are sometimes conducted jointly with other regulators, including the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA).
Duties include, but will not be limited to, the following:
• Oversees the operations and staff of CRB;
• Assists in implementation of the Superintendent’s goals and objectives for the Banking Division;
• Assists with establishing policies, procedures, and appropriate supervisory actions relating to CRB;
• Reviews and advises on New York State laws, rules, regulations, and policies and procedures of DFS that may affect financial institutions regulated by the Banking Division and keeps informed on regulatory changes as they may impact such institutions;
• Reviews laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of federal or other regulatory authorities that may affect financial institutions regulated by the Banking Division;
• Coordinates DFS’s work with other regulatory agencies as it pertains to examinations conducted by CRB;
• Participates in Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS) Committees and other intergovernmental organizations and efforts relevant to CRB and the Banking Division;
• Develops a collaborative working relationship with other divisions within DFS;
• Advises the Executive Deputy Superintendent of Banking on all matters falling within the scope of assigned responsibilities and makes necessary recommendations; and
• Other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,087 annual downstate adjustment.
Appointment Status: This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class.
Appointment to this position is pending Governor Appointment’s Office and Division of Budget approval.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than December 31, 2023 to the email address listed below. Please include Box# (Box DSPBB-DFSP3-09154) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services Office of Human Resources Management One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301 Albany, NY 12257
Email: NCE.Notifications@dfs.ny.gov Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Employment with New York State qualifies an individual for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). This program forgives the remaining balance on any Direct Student Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time for a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization. To learn more about the program and whether you would qualify, please visit: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Office of Employee Relations at (518) 473-3130 or via email at email@example.com.