Minimum Qualifications Candidates for the position must possess the following qualifications:
• At least eight (8) years of professional experience (public or private) successfully managing progressively more complex matters that involve the use of generally accepted audit, accounting, and investigative practices;
• At least three (3) year of experience supervising auditors and/or accountants that are working on investigations;
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in either accounting, finance, or economics is required; a master’s degrees in a relevant field is preferred;
• Certification as a Public Account (CPA) in the State of New York along with certification as a Forensic Examiner (CFE) is strongly preferred;
• Sound judgement with superior analytical, written communication, verbal presentation, and organization skills;
• Excellent technological skills, including the knowledge of and experience using software tools for conducting financial audits and investigative work and presenting findings in demonstrative exhibits;
• Strong interpersonal communication, coaching, problem-solving, and teamwork skills;
• Availability for occasional travel within New York State, including some overnight stays, is required; and
• Prior experience working with federal and state agencies/government is a plus.
Duties Description The Office of the New York State Attorney General’s Division of Criminal Justice (DCJ) is seeking an experienced forensic accountant/auditor for the position of Chief Auditor, to be located in either the New York City, Albany, or Buffalo office. Some travel throughout New York State is required.
The Forensic Audit Section (FAS) supports the DCJ by working in partnership with its attorneys, analysts, and detective investigators to investigate and prosecute cases involving complex financial fraud schemes, including but not limited to securities fraud, public integrity crimes, public benefits fraud, embezzlement, money laundering, and tax crimes. Many of DCJ’s cases involve coordination with local, state, and federal anti-fraud agencies and result in large-scale recoveries on behalf of defrauded individuals and the State of New York.
The Chief Auditor’s duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Supervising the FAS’s team of auditors based in New York City and Albany;
• Managing the FAS portfolio to ensure the appropriate prioritization and movement of key matters;
• Collaborating and partnering with the DCJ’s attorneys, analysts, and detective investigators;
• Serving as an integral member of the DJC’s management team by successfully implementing the DCJ’s broader strategic plan/goals;
• Developing and maintaining audit policies and programs for the DCJ to assure that professional, generally accepted audit practices are utilized;
• Ensuring the continuous improvement of audit staff through training, skills evaluation, mentorship, and other team-building and professional development activities; and
• Delivering or supervising testimony on the FAS’s findings as an expert witness during DCJ court proceedings throughout the state.
Additional Comments The annual salary for this position is $140,269 + $3,087 in location pay (NYC location only). As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
28 Liberty St.
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY
Applications are being received online. To apply, please visit our careers website: http://www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings. Reference no. DCJ_CA_6301
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter
? You may address to the Legal Recruitment Unit.
? Specify your location preference: either New York City, Albany, or Buffalo.
? Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you a strong candidate based on your skills and background.
• Professional Writing Sample or Audit Report
- If needed, you may wish to include a cover page to provide the reviewer with any relevant information/context.
• List of three (3) references
- Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
- Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
- Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
- Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov