Minimum Qualifications Current New York State employee with one year or more of qualifying permanent service as a Grade 23 or above and eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Or Provisional Appointment Pending Examination:
Current New York State employee with one year or more of qualifying permanent service as a Either A. Human Resources Specialist 2 (Labor Relations); Or B. Human Resources Specialist 2.
Only the title or titles listed are qualifying.
Candidates interested in provisional appointment must submit proof that they sat for the most recent holding of the Human Resources Specialist 3 (Labor Relations). Please visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/ for additional information on state examinations.
Duties Description Under the general direction of the Thruway Authority Director of Labor Relations the Human Resources 3 Labor Relations will participate in the administration of the Authority’s labor relations program including the negotiated agreements; contract grievances, and disciplines, through hearing; perform labor relations research; and serves as a member of pertinent Authority labor management committees.
• Administers the terms of the Authority’s negotiated agreements. To include maintaining up-to date information on the various provisions, clauses, and addenda.
• Regularly works collaboratively with all Authority programs areas and work units to anticipate, prevent, and resolve matters impacting on employee relations. On a daily basis, provides consultation, assistance and advice to employees, managers, supervisors, and others on matters potentially impacting on employee relations.
• Engages in all aspects of the Authority’s disciplinary and grievance process from conducting investigations, including conducting interviews, through serving as the Authority advocate at disciplinary and contract grievance hearings.
• Reviews and comments on new and/or revised Authority publications for potential employee relations impacts.
• Serves as a member of the Authority’s Negotiating Team and gathers and develops information for use in negotiations.
• Conducts comprehensive research and analysis to assist in developing the Authority’s position on various issues.
• Meets as needed with Union representatives to discuss employee relations issues.
• Assists with development and administrating of supervisory training.
• Maintain an expert knowledge of New York State Civil Service Law, Rule, and Regulation and Labor & Employee Relations.
Additional Comments Free onsite employee parking.
Remote work availability, hours, and travel will be discussed at time of interview.
Some of the benefits provided to Management Confidential (M/C) Thruway Authority employees include:
Health Insurance and Prescription Drug Coverage.
Dental and Vision Coverage.
13 Paid Holidays, 4 of which are floating holidays, which are credited in July each year for use from July 1st through June 30th.
Vacation, Sick and Personal Leave Accruals.
Sick Leave at Half Pay eligibility if requirements are met.
Sick Leave is credited at the rate of one half day each biweekly pay period up to a total of 165 days.
Paid Family Leave benefit, which provides job-protected paid time off for covered family leave.
Disability Benefits Program which provides disability benefits for an off the job injury or illness.
Membership in the New York State and Local Retirement System, as well as optional enrollment in the NYS Deferred Compensation Plan.
Tuition Assistance Program which reimburses 90% of tuition costs for approved courses up to 15 credit hours per year.
New York's 529 College Savings Program which provides New York families with a tax-advantaged way to save for college.
Flexible Spending Program, which allows employees to set aside pre-tax payroll deductions for eligible health care and dependent care expenses.
Employees with 20+ years of State/Authority service may receive up to an additional five days of vacation leave accruals annually.
Longevity Pay - Employees with five years of satisfactory service at or above the maximum salary of their grade will be eligible to have salary advanced to the First Longevity, 10 years of satisfactory service will advance to the Second Longevity, and 15 years of satisfactory service will advance to the Third Longevity. Longevity pay has a positive impact on retirement.
Employees are paid bi-weekly, with no lag time.
Some positions will be eligible for downstate pay depending on location.
The New York State Thruway Authority is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, familial status, citizen or immigration status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity or expression, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status. The Thruway Authority is committed to a workplace free from discrimination based on the referenced characteristics and other federal and state protected characteristics.
The New York State Thruway Authority provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Office of Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity Development at email@example.com or call (518) 471-4321.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingIf interested in this vacancy, please submit a resume and any other documents for proof of eligibility to the contact information in this announcement. Please include the Vacancy ID and title of the position you are applying for in your email.