Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be physically able to perform the duties of the assigned role and be able to understand and follow directions in English. Candidates may be asked to operate a motor vehicle and possess and maintain an appropriate NYS motor vehicle driver’s license.
Note: The minimum qualifications and duties for each role vary according to the specific nature of the simulation, and the role required of the training extra.
Duties Description Duties include but are not limited to:
• Provide the first responder community with relevant training focused on Homeland Security, Natural Disaster Preparedness and Recovery, and Weapons of Mass Destruction.
• Participate in exercises that may include hundreds of participants with simulated gun fire, explosions, serious vehicular accidents, hostage situations, infrastructure disaster, and traumatic or fatal injury.
• Follow established safety protocols and procedures for courses delivered at the SPTC.
• Ability to follow directions from instructional staff and stay on script.
• Act in various roles during scenarios, which could include innocent bystanders, victims, hostage takers, violent protesters, active shooters, etc.
• May be required to run, hide under and behind objects, yell, scream, cry, discharge training weapons, remain silent, etc.
• Ability to work in various types of environments and weather during training.
• Some nights and weekends may be required.
NOTE: Support of operations during times of emergency and disaster from State Emergency Operations Center (EOC), state field offices and/or local deployments may be required, which would result in a change and/or increase in working hours, locations and/or duties.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
1220 Washington Ave., Building 7A