Minimum Qualifications Education level required: Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree preferred
Experience required: 5+ years of relevant experience, preferably in leadership capacities; experience building strategies and planning execution and in the innovation space; multidisciplinary background preferred
Knowledge Required: Excellent verbal and writing skills; knowledge of Microsoft Office; strong understanding of technology and innovation sectors, not for profit supporting technology acceleration, academia especially research commercialization, and relevant governmental grant writing, policy, and/or administration experience (local, state, and federal)
Duties Description *Applicants MUST submit a cover letter with resume to be considered.
*Position expected to work onsite and hybrid consistent with New York State.
Support the Executive Director of the Division of Science, Technology and Innovation (NYSTAR) within Empire State Development’s (ESD) Division of Small Business and Technology Development, to identify and develop programs and strategies to strengthen NY’s innovation ecosystem. Partner within ESD to understand key industry clusters and state priorities and develop specific recommendations to the Executive Director for creating new and leveraging existing innovation platforms and assets that align with and strengthen those efforts. Develop a relationship with NYSTAR funded partners to continue to grow awareness of the network, strengthen utilization, and ensure innovation companies have access to expertise, specialized equipment and other assistance available to encourage growth and/or technology acceleration, including successfully applying to federal opportunities. Help cultivate, support, and align the various innovation ecosystems emerging across New York to understand and utilize the ESD and NYSTAR programs.
• Support the Executive Director and ESD partners (e.g., GO-SEMI, Policy, OSWD, Strategic Business Development, etc.) in structuring and implementing initiatives aligned with strategic industries and technologies (e.g., Climate Tech, Semiconductors, Life Sciences, Information & Communications Tech, etc.) to stimulate NY State’s innovation and commercialization pipeline. This will require working with universities and NYSTAR funded assets to identify and nurture promising technologies, companies, and entrepreneurs
• Cultivate and grow relationships with federal programs and agencies focused on innovation ecosystem curation and growth (e.g., Regional Innovation Clusters, SBIR/STTR, iCorps, etc.), including identifying and pursuing potential grant opportunities
• As directed, engage and develop long-term working relationships with local, state, and federal resource partners
• Assist Exec. Director with the creation/implementation of proactive programs that support innovation and technology companies to meet ESD goals and result in the creation, retention and attraction of jobs to New York while meeting fiduciary responsibilities and utilizing program resources effectively
• Ensure effective coordination and integration of activities between ESD staff, Executive Chamber, agency specialists and other public and private stakeholders and organizations as needed and appropriate
• Oversee and undertake special projects or initiatives as needed
• Contribute to the development of internal and external communications, collateral, and events promoting the NYSTAR network and with required annual reports
• Travel up to 25%, primarily within New York State
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingExternal Candidates: Please attach cover letter and resume. To apply copy & paste URL in browser: https://bit.ly/3APr8cp
Internal Candidates: Please apply through ADP using the Myself/Talent menu and submit your cover letter and resume for consideration
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY