Information Technology Services Office
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter. Information about this examination for this title series can be found at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/dashboard-start/lower-level-it-oc.cfm
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-16 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website. https://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/gotit/title-search/index.cfm
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and candidates with 55b/c eligibility are encouraged to apply. Candidates must possess a current 55b/c eligibility letter and one of the following minimum qualifications:
• a bachelor's or higher-level degree, including or supplemented by 15 credit hours in computer science;
• a bachelor's or higher-level degree in any field and at least one year of the experience in information technology;
• a minimum of 60 college semester credit hours including at least 15 credit hours in computer science and one year of the experience in information technology;
• Two years of the experience in information technology.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) is seeking applicants for the position of Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming). The incumbent of this position will be responsible for technical programming support of NYSED data systems. This will require an individual with diverse IT skills who has an interest and the ability to perform technical system enhancements on a variety of operating environments.
This position requires willingness and aptitude to learn quickly. Duties will include, but not be limited to the following:
• Ability to work on and demonstrate proficiency with Visual Studio, Agile Business Suite (AB Suite), C#, SQL Server management Studio and Windows PowerShell.
• Analyze the impact of proposed modifications on existing components of the system and implement the needed modifications.
• Participate in systems analysis discussions, including requirements definition, and prototyping of proposed solutions.
• Coordinate with the Statewide Financial System (SFS) project manager regarding changes driven by Statewide Financial System (SFS).
• Develop and execute application test plans; Identify and troubleshoot system errors, as well as implement the necessary solutions.
• Ensure that systems and procedures are properly documented, meet Department standards, and follow generally accepted IT practices and security standards.
• Develop project plans for system enhancements and provide project status reports to project stakeholders.
The following skills and abilities will be beneficial to successful performance of the job.
• Knowledge and practical experience programming in Visual Studio, AB Suite, C#, SQL Server management Studio and Windows PowerShell.
• Knowledge and experience with database structures including MS SQL.
• Knowledge and experience with reporting tools such as COGNOS.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This will be a contingent permanent appointment or a temporary provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming) when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of coursework and experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
This position leads to a maximum salary of $80,248 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 27, 2023 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-707/02020) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, prior conviction records, prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications, or sealed records.
Interested in a job with New York State, but don’t know where to start?
Visit these links for information on working for New York State:
Generous benefits of working for New York State, including, but not limited to, the following:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave in year one, increasing to 20+ days with additional years of service.
• Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA and eight (8) days paid sick leave annually for M/C.
• Annual professional leave and educational leave opportunities for eligible staff.
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can choose from a variety of affordable and generous health insurance programs.
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost.
• Enrollment in the New York State pension system which has earned the distinction of being one of the best-managed and best-funded plans in the nation OR Optional Retirement Defined Contribution Plan with 8% salary match (eligibility requirements apply).
• NYS Deferred Compensation and an exclusive 403(b) Optional Retirement Savings Plan.
• Paid Parental Leave for all employees and Paid Family Leave (M/C Only).
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
• Opportunities for telecommuting.
• Eligibility for various life insurance options.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 27, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (PIMS-707/02020) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.