Rochester VR District Office
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Non-Competitive Appointment: Candidates must possess certification by Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc. (RID) OR a passing score on the written portion of the RID certification examination AND two years of experience providing sign language interpretive services for the deaf OR a rating of intermediate or above on the Sign Communication Proficiency Interview conducted by the National Technical Institute for the Deaf.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) is seeking candidates for a Translator (Manual Communication) position in the Rochester District Office. This Office assist persons with disabilities to attain employment, educational, and/or independent living goals. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Gather information verbally;
• Attend meetings or conferences with the counselor;
• Schedule appointments in situations where there may be communications difficulties;
• Assist in the preparation of written material to ensure material is presented in a grammatically correct format and is easily understood; and,
• Schedule/request interpreters for staff.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a temporary appointment. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of RID certification and/or Sign Communication Proficiency Interview rating will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. This position will require 20% in-state travel.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 7, 2023 to ACCESJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (ACS-2956/90295) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, prior conviction records, prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications, or sealed records.
Interested in a job with New York State, but don’t know where to start?
Visit these links for information on working for New York State:
Generous benefits of working for New York State, including, but not limited to, the following:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave in year one, increasing to 20+ days with additional years of service.
• Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA and eight (8) days paid sick leave annually for M/C.
• Annual professional leave and educational leave opportunities for eligible staff.
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can choose from a variety of affordable and generous health insurance programs.
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost.
• Enrollment in the New York State pension system which has earned the distinction of being one of the best-managed and best-funded plans in the nation OR Optional Retirement Defined Contribution Plan with 8% salary match (eligibility requirements apply).
• NYS Deferred Compensation and an exclusive 403(b) Optional Retirement Savings Plan.
• Paid Parental Leave for all employees and Paid Family Leave (M/C Only).
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
• Opportunities for telecommuting.
• Eligibility for various life insurance options.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 7, 2023 to ACCESJOBS@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (ACS-2956/90295) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.