Minimum Qualifications Qualifications:
• At least five (5) years of civil litigation experience in federal and New York state courts, including some trial and/or complex litigation experience (including clerkships);
• Excellent legal analysis, legal writing and editing, and oral advocacy skills;
• Strong organizational, interpersonal communication, problem solving, and teamwork skills;
• Comfort with and proficiency using technology to complete legal work, including knowledge of and experience with various computer software programs and case management and electronic discovery platforms; and
• Prior experience supervising and/or mentoring attorneys and support staff is preferred.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that OAG attorneys be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
Duties Description The Litigation Bureau in the Office of the New York State Attorney General is seeking an experienced litigator to serve in the Albany office as a Section Chief. The Litigation Bureau represents the State of New York and its agencies and officers in state and federal courts in legal actions and proceedings relating to civil rights, education, social services, public employment, public health, law enforcement, corrections, state finance, insurance, taxation, and other litigated matters arising out of state operations, regulation, and legislation.
The Bureau’s cases are often high profile and present a myriad of questions on constitutional law and statutory/regulatory interpretation, including matters of first impression, and generally have significant financial and policy implications for the State.
The Section Chief enjoys a diverse and stimulating practice that consists of personally handling such litigation, as well as other litigation matters in the bureau, as assigned. The primary duties of the Section Chief are to provide training, guidance, and supervision to attorneys in all phases of litigation from inception through trial.
The Section Chief’s responsibilities include serving as lead or supporting counsel on a variety of litigation matters; researching and drafting motions and pleadings; appearing in court and presenting oral arguments; managing all aspects of discovery; negotiating settlements; conducting trials; and other duties, as assigned.
• Managing the Section’s extensive federal and state court litigation docket;
• Supervising approximately six (6) attorneys;
• Serving as lead attorney on, or otherwise closely overseeing, the Section’s cases;
• Supervising or serving as lead attorney or second seat in hearings and trials;
• Reviewing and assigning incoming litigation matters, including emergency applications for judicial relief;
• Drafting and/or editing pleadings, briefs, and other motion papers;
• Evaluating proposed settlements; and
• Regularly providing advice, training, and support to the Section’s attorneys and support staff.
Additional Comments The salary range for this position is $151,487 - $173,368. The final salary will be determined after a complete evaluation of the selected candidate’s qualifications. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Legal Recruitment Bureau - 28 Liberty St
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY
Applications are being received online. To apply, please www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings.
Reference No. LIT_ALB_SC_3629
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter
? You may address to Legal Recruitment.
? Indicate why you are interested in a position with the Litigation Bureau and what makes you a strong candidate.
• Writing Samples
? Please provide at least two (2) writing samples that you believe best demonstrate your legal writing and analytical abilities.
? Please upload these as one document in the field that is provided.
• List of three references
? Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
? Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
? Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
? Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.