OR NYC or other locations statewide*
Minimum Qualifications Bachelor’s degree* with at least 15 credit hours in cyber security, information assurance, or information technology; and three years of information technology experience, including two years of information security or information assurance experience**.
*Substitution: bachelor's degree candidates without at least 15 course credits in cyber security, information assurance, or information technology require an additional year of general information technology experience to qualify. Appropriate information security or information assurance experience may substitute for the bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis; an associate's degree requires an additional two years of general
information technology experience.
**Experience solely in information security or information assurance may substitute for the general information technology experience.
• • Bachelor's Degree with a concentration or major in Information Security, Cyber Security, Digital Forensics, or a related field.
• Applicable Information Security certificate(s), including but not limited to certificate in Information Security Fundamentals (e.g., Security+, GSEC, CISF, GISF)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to clearly articulate information technology and information security concepts to a varied audience to facilitate wide understanding.
• Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills.
• Demonstrated skill in facilitating meetings, listening, and negotiating between multiple stakeholders to drive results.
• Detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
• 3+ years’ experience in the following areas:
o Awareness program development
o Technical writing
• 2+ years’ experience in the following areas:
o Leading a team in related work
o Project management
o Event planning for 1000+
• Familiarity of:
o Digital media campaigns
o Marketing concepts
Duties Description Under the direction of senior team members within the Chief Information Security Office/Governance, Risk, & Compliance/Governance, Compliance, Awareness, & Training (GCAT) Awareness and Training team., the candidate will be responsible for coordinating the cybersecurity awareness and outreach program, including preparing materials and messaging for state and federal initiatives; identifying and participating in relevant events, presentations and workgroups; creation of collateral to support cybersecurity awareness; and supporting and expanding the current outreach and awareness channels. As part of the Awareness and Training team, the candidate may also be asked to assist in the training activities for Chief Information Security Office (CISO) staff and the development of a cybersecurity exercise services.
The position requires communicating orally and in writing with various individuals including management, users, vendors, and other IT staff. The position requires availability during off-shift hours to ensure appropriate response to security incidents or other critical activities that may impact sensitive information, critical systems, NYS agencies, or ITS.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Create and promote cybersecurity awareness programs and activities in NYS, including representing ITS CISO at booth exhibits, giving presentations, and assisting in the planning and execution of activities.
• Organize, expand, and create innovative options for the New York State Cybersecurity Conference. This includes program development, budget, procurement, tracking, vendor relationships, registration, troubleshooting, and the coordination and management of all logistical aspects of the conference.
• Prepare and review cybersecurity communications, such as awareness bulletins, press releases, social media campaigns, newsletters, and other published content.
• Create and disseminate cybersecurity materials to heighten awareness and knowledge of best practices.
• Arrange and implement activities and messaging for NYS’s participation in National Cybersecurity Awareness Month, NYS “Kids Safe Online” Poster Contest and other cybersecurity awareness campaigns.
• Design, evaluate, and support the coordination educational campaigns, including cybersecurity competitions.
• Develop, manage, and maintain channels of communication to targeted audiences (State and local government, education sectors, and citizens).
• Participate in partnership programs with State and National work groups.
• Measure and track outreach outcomes and effectiveness.
• Identify and research appropriate cybersecurity awareness and outreach options.
• Develop and maintain the content of CISO cybersecurity web pages.
• Perform full range of supervisory duties or outreach and awareness staff.
Additional Comments Background check and fingerprinting are required.
*Please note, this position may be filled in either Albany, NYC, or other locations statewide.
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
• Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• Up to 50% telecommuting
• And many more.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Human Resources Services - Swan Street Building, Core 4, Floor 1
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please submit a resume and cover letter indicating you are applying for Information Technology Specialist 4 (Information Security) Ref #6677RV and include the vacancy ID. In your cover letter, please clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. Your Social Security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity. Selected candidates who are new or returning to NYS service may be required to pay for fingerprinting fees. New York State is an equal opportunity employer.