Office of Information and Reporting Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service as a Data Analyst 1.
Non-Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree AND two years of experience in data analytics. Qualifying experience must have been in one or more of the following areas:
• Collection, modeling, and analysis of data using various statistical and logical methods and techniques;
• Documenting key data collection systems; developing and enhancing standards and templates, and collecting business requirements;
• Performing data extraction, analysis, and management of data, and reporting findings.
Substitution: A master’s degree in a data or computer science, informatics, economics, statistics, mathematics, or a related field may substitute for one year of the specialized experience; a doctorate degree in these fields may substitute for an additional two years of specialized experience.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
• Qualifying experience is preferred when performed in a school, school district, BOCES, education oversight agency, educational institution, education research institution, or other related research institution.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for four (4) Data Analyst 1 positions in the Office of Information and Reporting Services (IRS). Under the general direction of a Data Analyst 2 or other senior staff, the Data Analyst 1 will perform tasks related to data analysis, data interpretation, and data management in multiple systems and program areas within IRS. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Extract data, utilizing data management software (e.g., SAS, SQL, SPSS) to write queries, merge data sets, create aggregations, and quality checks from multiple sources and tables in support of trend identification and root cause analysis;
• Collaborate with program and business units to develop and build models in support of analytic use cases for the development of data collection and reporting processes, including business rules, glossary, guidance, specifications for data extracts;
• Aid in quality control checks, and the development of verification reports (VRs) while drafting complete and appropriate technical requirements and data definition documentation;
• Provide constructive feedback on current strategies and recommend improvements to current or planned systems and processes to best achieve office objectives;
• Provide exceptional customer service, both verbal and written to internal and external stakeholders; and
• Collaborate with staff to perform data analysis, interpretation tasks, summarize results, and draft written reports to develop business intelligence solutions used to recommend improvements designed to enhance performance.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: These positions will be a temporary appointment pending Civil Service Commission approval of the Non-Competitive Jurisdictional Class. At such time, the appointments will become Permanent, Non-Competitive. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
This position leads to a maximum salary of $80,248 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 12, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2432/66280, P12-2433/66281, P12-2434/66282, & P12-2435/04336) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, prior conviction records, prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications, or sealed records.
Interested in a job with New York State, but don’t know where to start?
Visit these links for information on working for New York State:
Generous benefits of working for New York State, including, but not limited to, the following:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave in year one, increasing to 20+ days with additional years of service.
• Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA and eight (8) days paid sick leave annually for M/C.
• Annual professional leave and educational leave opportunities for eligible staff.
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can choose from a variety of affordable and generous health insurance programs.
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost.
• Enrollment in the New York State pension system which has earned the distinction of being one of the best-managed and best-funded plans in the nation OR Optional Retirement Defined Contribution Plan with 8% salary match (eligibility requirements apply).
• NYS Deferred Compensation and an exclusive 403(b) Optional Retirement Savings Plan.
• Paid Parental Leave for all employees and Paid Family Leave (M/C Only).
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
• Opportunities for telecommuting.
• Eligibility for various life insurance options.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 12, 2023 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2432/66280, P12-2433/66281, P12-2434/66282, & P12-2435/04336) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.