Office of Information and Reporting Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service as a Data Analyst 3.
Non-Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree AND five years of experience in data analytics. Qualifying experience must have been in one or more of the following areas:
• Collection, modeling, and analysis of data using various statistical and logical methods and techniques;
• Documenting key data collection systems; developing and enhancing standards and templates, and collecting business requirements;
• Performing data extraction, analysis, and management of data, and reporting findings.
Substitution: A master’s degree in a data or computer science, informatics, economics, statistics, mathematics, or a related field may substitute for one year of the specialized experience; a doctorate degree in these fields may substitute for an additional two years of specialized experience.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
• Qualifying experience is preferred when performed in a school, school district, BOCES, education oversight agency, educational institution, education research institution, or other related research institution.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Data Analyst 3 position in the Office of Information and Reporting Services (IRS). Reporting to the Unit Manager within IRS, the incumbent of this position will work on leading the data collection and reporting projects in multiple systems and program areas, including the Basic Educational Data System (BEDS) Institutional Master File (IMF), State Education Department Reference File (SEDREF), School Safety and Educational Climate (SSEC), Fiscal/NRC, Charter Schools, Nonpublic Schools, Student Support Services, and Early Learning data needs. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Collaborate with business program areas to plan the development of the agency strategy for analytic solutions, including IRS and Department IT units for development and testing and implement changes of new applications and reports;
• Collaborate with program areas and unit leadership on complex projects and all aspects of data analysis to ensure all requirements are met;
• Develop agency strategy for analytic solutions, system implementation, reporting to identify anomalies, trends, inconsistencies, and make recommendations to improve processes, workflow, operations, and assessment of data structures;
• Review and suggest improvements to current or planned systems and processes with the data warehouse team to ensure proper data mapping, design, implementation, and training of data management strategies, systems, quality control procedures;
• Oversee drafting and review informational documents and reports on analytics solutions including writing technical requirements and documentation of data sources, templates, tables, files, related databases, and systems integration, produced by lower-level staff for accuracy, to meet the reporting needs of customers;
• Conduct analysis of complex data, provide interpretation of data for key stakeholders and leadership, including identifying and reporting data patterns and abnormalities; and
• Supervise technical staff members.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position will be a temporary appointment pending Civil Service Commission approval of the Non-Competitive Jurisdictional Class. At such time, this appointment will become Permanent, Non-Competitive. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
This position leads to a maximum salary of $124,107 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 12, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2431/04334) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, prior conviction records, prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications, or sealed records.
Interested in a job with New York State, but don’t know where to start?
Visit these links for information on working for New York State:
Generous benefits of working for New York State, including, but not limited to, the following:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave in year one, increasing to 20+ days with additional years of service.
• Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA and eight (8) days paid sick leave annually for M/C.
• Annual professional leave and educational leave opportunities for eligible staff.
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can choose from a variety of affordable and generous health insurance programs.
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost.
• Enrollment in the New York State pension system which has earned the distinction of being one of the best-managed and best-funded plans in the nation OR Optional Retirement Defined Contribution Plan with 8% salary match (eligibility requirements apply).
• NYS Deferred Compensation and an exclusive 403(b) Optional Retirement Savings Plan.
• Paid Parental Leave for all employees and Paid Family Leave (M/C Only).
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
• Opportunities for telecommuting.
• Eligibility for various life insurance options.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 12, 2023 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2431/04334) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.