110 State Street
Minimum Qualifications You must be currently reachable on the appropriate eligible list for an Auditor 1 (Municipal), eligible under the 55 b/c program (see below), or eligible to transfer to this title under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
For a 70.1 transfer to an Auditor 1 (Municipal), SG-18, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a SG-16 or above and have 24 credit hours in accounting and/or auditing.
70.1 Transfer to a trainee 2:
For a 70.1 transfer to the trainee 2, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 14 or above.
70.1 Transfer to a trainee 1:
For a 70.1 transfer to the trainee 1, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 12 or above.
Depending on qualifications, you may be required to serve a 1 or 2-year traineeship that leads to the full level grade 18 position.
To determine if your current Civil Service title is eligible for transfer to this title, visit the Career Mobility GOT-IT website: Career Mobility Office » GOT-IT (ny.gov)
Appointments via transfer must not result in a second, consecutive transfer with an advancement of more than two S-grades or one M-grade.
This position may be designated 55 b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility.
For a 55 b/c appointment, you must:
• Possess the minimum qualifications for the selected title as established by the Department of Civil Service and listed on the most recent exam announcement:
http://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/announcements/oc-cr/decentralized/20-722.cfm (Trainee level)*
http://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/announcements/oc-cr/decentralized/20-777.cfm (Senior level)*
• Meet the applicable minimal mental and/or physical requirements for the job (with a reasonable accommodation, if necessary)
• Have a current Eligibility Letter from the NYS Department of Civil Service, www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/, and be able to provide it to the Human Resources Office upon request.
*If you are currently 55b/c eligible and possess a bachelor’s degree and have 24 credit hours in accounting and/or auditing, we encourage you to apply for this position.
Duties Description Training Curriculum Development and Presentation
Assist with training design, content development and instruction for staff at all levels in the Division. Specifically, you may:
• Participate in planning and designing technical and soft skills trainings that have clear objectives, engage learners and employ the best methods to share knowledge.
o Technical training/presentation topics will include accounting and auditing standards; internal policies and procedures and local government operations, among other topics.
o Soft skills training/presentation topics can include communication, teamwork, and generational difference, among other topics.
• Create and/or edit technical and soft skills presentations using development tools such as Powerpoint, Lectora and Camtasia.
• Facilitate the development of technical and soft skills presentations by subject matter experts (SMEs).
• Deliver and/or facilitate in-person and virtual training on various technical and soft skills topics across the State.
• Facilitate in-person and virtual meetings relating to communities of practice, roundtable discussions and other training-related sessions.
• Review training presentations developed by others:
o Provide feedback with end-users in mind (i.e., flow and organization of information, clarity, etc.)
o Create the design of the materials to enhance learning.
• Ensure the training programs developed meet professional standards.
Training Logistics and SDU Support
• Assist in the management of staff development and training events. Activities may include:
o Plan and schedule classes, identify and select training facilities, manage logistics and registration, deliver/arrange for training materials and coordinate evaluations and feedback.
o Register Division employees for training events and send training notifications.
• Assist with maintaining training record databases used to track training attendance and each Division employee’s continuing professional education (CPE) records. Responsibilities may include:
o Create training accounts and grant access rights to Division employees and provide database access instructions.
o Assign training curriculums to new employees, enroll new employees in corresponding eLearning courses and monitor compliance.
o Determine and calculate the relevant information (course title, description, dates, CPE's, etc.) for each training course attended or taught by Division employees and enter the information into the training database.
o Ensure required documentation is provided to support each course and follow up with Division employees to obtain any missing information and/or documents.
o Manage employee and training records maintained in Excel workbooks that rely heavily on a variety of formulas. Troubleshoot formulas if an error occurs.
o Maintain training information relevant to operations (e.g., CPAs on staff, memberships, new employees, etc.).
o Understand and apply NY State Education Department and Government Accountability Office rules and regulations for assigning CPEs.
o Generate timely training database reports for Division reporting needs and to assist in monitoring staff CPEs to ensure compliance with auditing standards.
o Troubleshoot access issues by Division employees, including password resets.
o Serving as a backup for the Program Aide staff member.
• Assist with managing the SDU mailbox. Assist customers by responding appropriately to emails or directing emails to the appropriate staff member.
• Maintain and periodically update the SDU webpage to ensure information is up-to-date and helpful to customers.
• Document, review and revise SDU procedures and policy documents.
Other SDU Activities
• Provide SDU orientation sessions to new LGSA employees.
• Act as a work unit representative on OSC and Division project teams and forums, as assigned, and for the NYS Trainer Community of Practice.
Additional Comments Desired Competencies or Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite (including PowerPoint) and experience with or ability to learn presentation software (i.e., Lectora and Camtasia).
• Demonstrated ability to work and think independently, as well as in a dynamic team environment.
• Customer-service oriented.
• Excellent organizational skills, and capable of shifting assignments as needed without losing focus.
• Knowledge of local government operations, governmental accounting and governmental auditing standards.
• To complete the assigned tasks detailed in this job duties statement, the candidate in this position would be expected to make periodic in-person visits to the OSC Central Office at 110 State Street, Albany, NY, if not already assigned to that work location.
The Office of the New York State Comptroller (OSC) supports telecommuting where it is reasonable to do so based upon the agency’s mission and operational needs. Generally, employees new to OSC will be restricted from telecommuting for at least 8 calendar weeks. After the initial 8 calendar week restriction, if an employee’s duties and work performance are aligned with telecommuting they may be allowed to do so. Upon approval to telecommute, OSC employees may telecommute up to 5 days per pay period.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street, 12th Floor
Notes on ApplyingSubmit a clear, concise cover letter and resume stating how you meet the above minimum qualifications to email@example.com, no later than December 7, 2023. Reference Item #04232-SAB in the subject line and on the cover letter for proper routing.
If you have questions about this vacancy, please contact this Division representative:
Jennifer Haviland, firstname.lastname@example.org
When responding, please include the reference number from this section only. The StateJobsNY website Vacancy ID # should not be included.