ALB: One Commerce Plaza
Minimum Qualifications Preferred Qualifications
• Strong written, analytical and oral communication skills.
• Experience delivering and facilitating training.
• Ethics and FOIL experience preferred but not required.
List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for 38-852.
Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer via Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Information regarding transfer eligibility may be available on the Civil Service Career Mobility Office website at http://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/.
Please Note that under Civil Service Law, an employee cannot have two consecutive upward 70.1 or 52.6 transfers without an intervening eligible list appointment if such transfers would exceed two salary grades.
Duties Description The New York State Department of Financial Services seeks to build an equitable, transparent, and resilient financial system that benefits individuals and supports business. Through engagement, data-driven regulation and policy, and operational excellence, the Department and its employees are responsible for empowering consumers and protecting them from financial harm; ensuring the health of the entities we regulate; driving economic growth in New York through responsible innovation; and preserving the stability of the global financial system.
The Department of Financial Services is seeking candidates for the position of Associate Attorney Financial Services in the Office of General Counsel. The incumbent will be required to function with a great degree of independence and be able to handle sensitive and confidential information. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Reviews staff conflict of interest forms and interns’ resumes for conflicts of interest and provides guidance to Human Resources;
• Reviews and drafts responses to requests for approval of outside activities and official activity expense payments;
• Drafts recusal memoranda and ethics waivers for staff, reviews blind trust agreements for compliance with the Financial Services Law (FSL), and assists with staff onboarding and offboarding as appropriate;
• Identifies and assists with updating internal policies, guidance documents and databases, procedure manuals and applicable laws as appropriate;
• Delivers pre-scripted PowerPoint ethics training to staff and interns that covers their duties and responsibilities under New York State’s ethics laws and regulations, and the FSL, among other things;
• Responds in a timely manner to requests from the Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (Commission) for monthly training data;
• Issues annual filing reminders to financial disclosure statement (FDS) filers and follows up with delinquent FDS filers;
• Tracks and monitors Project Sunlight quarterly reporting and training and provides guidance on Section 166 reporting;
• Reviews, edits and provides guidance on responses to conflict of interest and vendor questionnaires, consultant and vendor contracts, service agreements, memoranda of understanding, and confidentiality and information sharing agreements to protect, among other things, DFS and the state and to prevent conflicts of interest;
• Reviews, investigates and drafts timely responses to FOIL Appeals, provides recommendations to the FOIL Appeal Office and, as appropriate, provides litigation assistance on Article 78 proceedings arising out of FOIL appeals;
• Supervises staff assisting with administration of the ethics function; and
• Conducts research and writing and performs other tasks and special projects as assigned.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,087 annual downstate adjustment.
Please note that a change in negotiating unit may affect your salary, insurance and other benefits.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than December 7, 2023 to the email address listed below. Please include the Box # (Box AAFS-06301) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
Box AAFS-06301 New York State Department of Financial Services Office of Human Resources Management One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301 Albany, NY 12257
Email: email@example.com Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Employment with New York State qualifies an individual for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). This program forgives the remaining balance on any Direct Student Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time for a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization. To learn more about the program and whether you would qualify, please visit: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Office of Employee Relations at (518) 473-3130 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.