Minimum Qualifications CURRENT STATE EMPLOYEES:
Transfer Candidates – Current NYS employees who have one or more years of permanent or contingent-permanent service in the Investigative Specialist 1, Investigative Specialist 1 (Beverage Control) with all language parenthetics, Investigative Specialist 1 (Motor Vehicle) with all language parenthetics, and Investigative Specialist 1 (Narcotics) eligible to transfer via section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law may apply for transfer. Candidates must either already have a valid physical/medical clearance on file or will be required to take and pass an appropriate physical/medical evaluation to be considered for the transfer.
Candidates will be required to meet the requirements for Peace Officer status and meet physical/medical standards for these positions.
Duties Description Under the general direction of the Investigative Specialist 2 (Cannabis), the incumbent of this position will be responsible for investigating possible violations of the cannabis laws, rules, and regulations. They will conduct investigations into cannabis license businesses and any illicit activity involving cannabis.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Perform a wide variety of enforcement, regulatory and licensing investigative activities to gather information and report facts.
• Review assigned cases or complaints from the public to determine the section of law, rule, or regulation that applies and identify the issues and types of information needed.
• Plan the scope and method of investigation based on the Office of Cannabis Management policy, the accessibility of information and the seriousness of the issue.
• Meet with and interview witnesses, complainants, proprietors, prospective licensees, and others to obtain information relating to the investigation for enforcement, compliance, or eligibility purposes.
• May arrest, confine, and transport subjects of investigation and process them per established procedures.
• Take statements and affidavits from individuals in an appropriate format, taking care to include a full description of the facts needed to support the investigation.
• Identify and search public and private documents to locate persons of interest and may question others and follow leads to find such persons.
• Develop leads and informants; conducts surveillance and engages in undercover work. Uses camera, recording devices or other equipment as necessary.
• Obtain, inventories and safeguards evidence according to OCM procedures and legal requirements.
• Confer with law enforcement, prosecutors, and other entities to convey and obtain information relevant to an investigation, provides technical assistance and training and develops and maintains rapport to ensure cooperation in the conduct of investigations.
• Participate in joint operations with various levels of law enforcement targeting patterns of non-compliance or violations of laws and regulations.
• Prepare factual written reports of information gathered during an investigation; and may recommend an appropriate course of action consistent with findings and agency policy and practices.
• Discuss investigative findings and recommendations with supervisor and program specialists.
• May perform full range of supervisory functions.
Additional Comments NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: Employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to the agency’s Telecommuting Program Guidelines.
Appointment to certain positions requires extensive travel within an area of assignment. Appointees may need to operate a motor vehicle or have other means to meet the transportation needs of the job. If the position requires that you operate a motor vehicle, you must continuously have a valid New York State driver’s license to continue employment; suspension or loss of a valid New York State driver’s license may result in removal from employment. Field work and travel expenses are reimbursed on a fixed schedule. Overnight travel may be required. This position may require travel to areas that are not serviced by public transportation.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza