110 State Street
Minimum Qualifications You must be currently reachable on the appropriate eligible list for this title, eligible under the 55 b/c
program (see below), or eligible to transfer to this title under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
For a 70.1 transfer to this title, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 16 or above.
70.1 Transfer to a trainee 2:
For a 70.1 transfer to the trainee 2, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 14 or above.
70.1 Transfer to a trainee 1:
For a 70.1 transfer to the trainee 1, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 12 or above.
To determine if your current Civil Service title is eligible for transfer to this title, visit the Career Mobility GOT-IT website: Career Mobility Office » GOT-IT (ny.gov)
Appointments via transfer must not result in a second, consecutive transfer with an advancement of more than two S-grades or one M-grade.
Depending on qualifications, you may be required to serve a 1 or 2-year traineeship that leads to the full level grade 18 position.
This position may be designated 55 b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility.
For 55 b/c appointment, you must:
• Possess the minimum qualifications for the selected title as established by the Department of Civil Service and listed on the most recent exam announcement. (Professional Career Opportunities » Department of Civil Service (ny.gov)) (Professional Career Opportunities (ny.gov))
• Meet the applicable minimal mental and/or physical requirements for the job (with a reasonable accommodation, if necessary)
• Have a current Eligibility Letter from the NYS Department of Civil Service, www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/, and be able to provide it to the Human Resources Office upon request.
*If you are currently 55b/c eligible and possess a bachelor’s degree, we encourage you to apply for this position.
Duties Description Perform daily reconciliations of the short term and master cash accounts to ensure all entries are posted correctly from the previous day’s custodial bank records. Review trade entry by ITU Senior Accountant:
• Review the Cash activity file from the custodian bank to verify that all items are correct and included properly to ensure the master cash and short-term cash accounts entries are updated.
• Review Manager Trade blotters to ensure all trades are entered on the accounting system and all broker data is captured correctly. Review various other data elements to facilitate accuracy of accounting records.
Review Fixed Income portfolio, ensuring that the retirement system’s holdings are properly recorded and valued by performing monthly activities such as pricing the Bond portfolio and reconciling fixed income cash activity to prepare receipt upload to General Ledger:
• Price the Fixed Income Portfolio by running various processes and update the accounting system as needed to ensure market value pricing is accurate. Review and update master records to ensure payments project accurately.
• Run various accounting transaction reports to ensure fixed income cash postings agree to cash received to facilitate cash receipt upload to the general ledger. Discuss discrepancies with supervisor and Investment Transaction Unit (ITU) senior accountants to determine what corrections need to be made. Submit cash receipts file to the General Ledger unit.
Support other staff and special projects:
• Support other ITU senior accountants with tasks such as trade entry, payment reconciliation, and claim documentation. Enter exchanges or other types of corporate action transactions to ensure holdings agree with the custodian bank. Cross train as needed to help out various other related Senior Accountant positions. Work on special assignments during audit and financial reporting season or as required by management, including researching new security types, setting up master files, and evaluating security pricing requirements, etc.
Additional Comments Desired Competencies
• Ability to prepare clear, concise work papers in a highly professional manner.
• Excellent Excel skills.
• Ability to reconcile multiple and complex accounts.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Accuracy, timeliness, and good communication skills.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• The Office of the New York State Comptroller (OSC) supports telecommuting where it is reasonable to do so based upon the agency’s mission and operational needs. Generally, employees new to OSC will be restricted from telecommuting for at least 8 calendar weeks. After the initial 8 calendar week restriction, if an employee’s duties and work performance are aligned with telecommuting they may be allowed to do so. Upon approval to telecommute, OSC employees may telecommute for up to 5 days per pay period.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street, 12th Floor
Notes on ApplyingSubmit a clear, concise cover letter and resume stating how you meet the above minimum qualifications to email@example.com, no later than December 31, 2023. Reference Item #08364-OER-MLS in the subject line and on the cover letter for proper routing.
If you have questions about this vacancy, please contact this Division representative:
Division contact: Mandi Lenzi, Mlenzi@osc.ny.gov
When responding, please include the reference number from this section only. The StateJobsNY website Vacancy ID # should not be included.