110 State Street
Minimum Qualifications You must be currently reachable on the appropriate eligible list for this title or eligible to transfer to this title under Section 70.1 or 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
For 70.1 or 52.6 transfer to a Business Systems Analyst 3, SG-25, you must have one year of permanent competitive, or 55-b/55-c service in an approved title for transfer allocated to an SG-23 or above.
To determine if your current Civil Service title is eligible for transfer to this title, visit the Career Mobility GOT-IT website: Career Mobility Office » GOT-IT (ny.gov)
Appointments via transfer must not result in a second, consecutive transfer with an advancement of more than two S-grades or one M-grade.
Duties Description • Lead, organize, conduct, and supervise business process improvement and consulting engagements.
• Facilitate elicitation sessions ensuring stakeholder needs are understood and requirements are prioritized and at an appropriate level for the lifecycle phase.
• Create process, data, and object-oriented models to support the understanding and development of an “as-is” or “to-be” process or system.
• Collaborate with IT Governance committee to ensure consistent and effective methods and procedures are in place to facilitate enterprise decisions on IT investments.
• Coordinate cross-division efforts to achieve business analysis objectives and seeding business analysis skills throughout the enterprise.
• Serve as an internal consultant to both project teams and the executive management teams on enterprise analysis and organizational development.
• Support executive-level efforts to improve organizational effectiveness and representing the Office of the State Comptroller’s (OSC) at interagency forums and other venues regarding business analysis.
• Manage the OSC Business Analysis Center of Excellence (BACOE) and staff.
• Establish and maintain business analysis methodologies and enterprise business analysis policies and processes.
• Develop consistent approaches and best practices for business analysis and provide guidance on tools and techniques.
• Promote the use of business analysis and business process improvement.
• Develop and deliver business analysis training and mentoring.
• Conduct periodic assessments regarding business analysis maturity, skills, training needs, and business analysis competencies to ensure continuous improvement of business analysis practices.
• Foster continuous improvement of overall business analysis capability through education, research and the sharing of effective tools and techniques.
• Organize and participate in the OSC Business Analysis Community of Practice and external Business Analysis professional groups.
• Assist staff with developing and understanding performance expectations and goals.
• Assist with setting training goals and aid in ensuring that staff receive the training necessary to further develop their business analysis knowledge and soft skills.
• Provide coaching, mentoring, and guidance around business analysis and facilitation skills.
• Provide guidance and direction in development and supervision of staff.
• Ensure proper adherence to the organization’s policies and procedures.
• Manage staff head count with interviewing, hiring, onboarding, and separating staff.
• Manage and allocate workload, identify priorities, and assign work.
• Identify opportunities for knowledge and skills development. Encourage, motivate, and guide in learning and improving processes.
• Provide real-time feedback on staff performance.
Additional Comments Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong analytical, problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with an ability to express complex information and concepts to project sponsors, managers, technical staff, consultants/contractors, and agency users.
• Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment.
• Strong knowledge of business analysis techniques and tools.
• Exceptional organizational skills.
• Ability to successfully manage multiple priorities.
• Ability to effectively conduct interviews and manage meetings.
• Experience applying business analysis techniques in a complex application environment.
• Demonstrated experience with business process improvement projects.
• Demonstrated experience working with consultants/contractors on agency projects, to implement an application to meet specific business needs.
• Strong understanding of project management lifecycle, and how it aligns with requirements lifecycle.
• Experience with business analysis training, membership/participation in the International Institute of Business Analysis and professional communities of practice.
• Demonstrated experience with Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP).
• Demonstrated experience with developing and delivering formal training.
• Demonstrated experience working with individuals and groups to surface essential information.
• Demonstrated experience leading various requirements sessions, background meetings, and configuration sessions.
• Experience negotiating priorities and resolving conflicts among project team, consultants, and contractors.
• A passion for business analysis and the visionary leadership necessary to further develop OSC’s Business Analysis Center of Excellence.
The Office of the New York State Comptroller (OSC) supports telecommuting where it is reasonable to do so based upon the agency’s mission and operational needs. Generally, employees new to OSC will be restricted from telecommuting for at least 8 calendar weeks. After the initial 8 calendar week restriction, if any employee’s duties and work performance are aligned with telecommuting they may be allowed to do so. Upon approval to telecommute, OSC employees may telecommute up to 5 days per pay period.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street, 12th Floor
Notes on ApplyingSubmit a clear, concise cover letter and resume stating how you meet the above minimum qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than December 8, 2023. Reference Item #00236-EMZ in the subject line and on the cover letter for proper routing.
If you have questions about this vacancy, please contact this Division representative:
Division contact: Jamie Bess, CIO_HR@osc.ny.gov
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section only. The OER ID # should not be included.