Office of Accountability
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Administrative Assistant 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Administrative Assistant 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-09 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law AND completion of all mandatory and elective core coursework.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Administrative Assistant Trainee 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-06 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Section 70.1 Transfer to Administrative Assistant Trainee 2: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-08 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law AND completion of all mandatory core coursework.
For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website. https://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/gotit/title-search/index.cfm
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Administrative Assistant 1 position in the Office of Accountability’s (OA), Office of ESSA-Funded Programs. The Office of ESSA-Funded Programs is responsible for the implementation of eight different programs funded under the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) which generate approximately $1.4 billion in federal aid to New York State. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Establish office procedures related to answering phones, processing of mail, and the coordination of information flow;
• Administer customer service requirements, this includes responding to and directing phone calls and sorting email from the generic email box to the appropriate professional or office;
• Perform basic office administrative tasks such as collecting, opening, stamping, and sorting mail, maintain an efficient filing system for program budgetary needs, and complete all keyboarding, copying, faxing oriented duties;
• Complete procurement and requisition requests;
• Complete the Statewide Financial System Travel entry process for the Director and Supervisors within the office;
• Provide assistance and secretarial support to all program staff; including Titles I, II, IV and V as needed;
• Deliver and pick-up twice daily, work related items from the Commissioner’s Office, Grants Finance Unit, and deliver travel paperwork to Fiscal Management;
• Create and maintain tracking system for management decisions;
• Support office staff and ensure personnel is properly informed of office procedures; and
• Exhibit professionalism, confidentiality, self-initiative, and self-management skills.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of work experience and/or completed coursework will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. Successful completion of an appropriate keyboarding test will be required for all candidates unless candidates demonstrate previous service in a competitive title for which passing a keyboarding test was required.
This position may be filled as a traineeship. The starting salaries for this position are outlined below. For current New York State employees, salary is based on the candidate’s salary at the time of hire. Candidates appointed at the trainee level will be required to successfully complete the traineeship to advance to the full performance level title and salary.
• $38,073 (Trainee 1- NS equated to SG-8)
• $42,493 (Trainee 2- NS equated to SG-10)
• $44,957 (Full Performance level SG-11)
This position leads to a maximum salary of $55,093 based on annual performance advances and traineeship advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 11, 2023 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2395/08005) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, prior conviction records, prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications, or sealed records.
Interested in a job with New York State, but don’t know where to start?
Visit these links for information on working for New York State:
Generous benefits of working for New York State, including, but not limited to, the following:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave in year one, increasing to 20+ days with additional years of service.
• Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA and eight (8) days paid sick leave annually for M/C.
• Annual professional leave and educational leave opportunities for eligible staff.
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can choose from a variety of affordable and generous health insurance programs.
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost.
• Enrollment in the New York State pension system which has earned the distinction of being one of the best-managed and best-funded plans in the nation OR Optional Retirement Defined Contribution Plan with 8% salary match (eligibility requirements apply).
• NYS Deferred Compensation and an exclusive 403(b) Optional Retirement Savings Plan.
• Paid Parental Leave for all employees and Paid Family Leave (M/C Only).
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
• Opportunities for telecommuting.
• Eligibility for various life insurance options.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 11, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2395/08005) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.