Minimum Qualifications If Civil Service Eligible list(s) exist, they will be canvassed. You may also apply if you are eligible for appointment by one of the following qualifications:
To be considered for this position, a review of your state history is needed. Please provide the last four digits of your social security number in your email response or on your resume. If you are not comfortable providing this information in your response, a representative from our office will contact you via phone.
52.6 Transfer Qualifications:
One year of permanent or contingent-permanent as a Grade 21 or higher determined to be administrative by Civil Service.
You must be a qualified Department of Labor employee and have at least one year of permanent service as a Human Resources Specialist 1.
The appointed candidate would have to take, pass and be reachable on the next holding of the examination to be appointed permanently.
• Ability to work independently and with others
• Ability to handle multiple and shifting priorities
• Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
• Ability to initiate and maintain relationships across a diverse set of stakeholders
• Familiar with creating reports and tracking spreadsheets
• Familiar with SharePoint, Salesforce and Microsoft Office Suite
Duties Description The incumbent will supervise, monitor, and lead staff within Personnel’s Employee Services Unit (ESU) to provide assistance, advocacy, guidance and advice on human resources activities. The incumbent will perform a wide range of activities in accordance with Civil Service Law, Rules and Regulations, policies and procedures. Duties include but are not limited to:
• Supervise clerical and paraprofessional staff
• Review and update Personnel procedures, policies and forms
• Create reports and analyze metrics
• Oversee Agency’s onboarding activities
• Direct staff on completion of employment verifications
• Manage employee recognition data
• Maintain and track Personnel information on the DOL website
• Lead technology advancement initiatives for the Personnel Office
• Liaison for time and attendance matters
• Oversee updates to Personnel manuals
• Serve as Personnel’s training liaison
• Serve as Personnel’s recruitment liaison by providing the hiring manager with job postings, posting results, eligible list candidates’, and nominated candidates for appointment.
• Perform audits to ensure employee transactions have been entered in all databases
• Participate in reclassifications, reallocations, earmark releases, and other classification and compensation matters.
• Participate in examination planning and development activities.
• Participate in other special projects as assigned.
The Personnel Office works in a team setting creating a collaborative environment which supports staff growth and development. Employees are expected to exhibit professionalism through a consistent commitment to the development and maintenance of excellent work relationships with others, including DOL employees and staff from various control agencies.
Additional Comments To be considered for this position, a review of your state history is needed. Please provide the last four digits of your social security number in your email response or on your resume. If you are not comfortable providing this information in your response, a representative from our office will contact you via phone.
Telecommuting will be discussed at the interview.
If you are a current NYS employee and have questions regarding salary, please contact the Business Services Center (BSC): 518-457-4272, BSCHR@ogs.ny.gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Harriman State Campus, Building 12, Room 561
Notes on ApplyingAll candidates must submit a written resume and cover letter which clearly demonstrates how they meet the minimum qualifications for the position. These documents must be received by December 11, 2023, and submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the NYS Department of Labor, Personnel Bureau, Building 12, Room 561, State Office Campus, Albany, NY 12240. You must include, Vacancy ID #144854, Human Resources Specialist 2 - Albany in the subject line of your email. Failure to do so may result in a delay of processing your application.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Department of Labor is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to ensuring equal opportunity for persons with disabilities and workplace diversity.
New York State (NYS) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, carrier status, gender identity or prior conviction records, or prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications or sealed records unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
If you are a person with a disability and wish to request that a reasonable accommodation be provided for you to participate in a job interview, please contact: Department of Labor, Attn: Director, Division of Equal Opportunity and Development (DEOD), Building 12, Albany, NY 12240 (Phone (518) 457-1984 and/or fax (518) 485-2575.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.