Minimum Qualifications CURRENT STATE EMPLOYEES:
Current New York State employee with one year or more of qualifying permanent service in a position allocated to a Grade 16 or above and eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
GENERAL PUBLIC CANDIDATES:
Provisional Pending Examination OR individuals with current 55b/c status who meet with qualifications below are encouraged to apply. If applying with 55b/c eligibility, you must supply a copy of the eligibility letter when responding to this announcement.
1. Two years of Active Federal Service in the Armed Forces of the United States as annotated on DD-214 and an honorable discharge or under conditions in the NYS Restoration of Honor Act.
2. Three years of experience in employment counseling, military career counseling, military recruiting, guidance counseling, employment interviewing, personnel administration, teaching, labor relations; or as a Veterans’ Organization Service Officer; or in a governmental position responsible for: the explanation of benefit program and entitlement criteria to veterans and/or their families; the analysis of claims for veteran benefits; the preparation of rating decisions; and/or the direction and conduct of post-decisional hearings and processes appeals for veterans and/or their families.
Substitution: College credits may be substituted for up to two years for the required experience at the rate of 30 semester credit hours equaling one year of experience.
*All canidates MUST submit a copy of their DD214 when applying to be considered for this position.
Duties Description Duties include but are not limited to:
• Assist, advise, and advocate for veterans as well as their families and survivors on a variety of topics and concerns relating to their rights and benefits. Topics include but are not limited to educational training, military law, employment and reemployment, health, medical and rehabilitation services and facilities, and the provisions of laws relating to veterans’ rights and privileges.
• May perform the full range of supervisory responsibilities.
• Perform other duties and special projects as required.
• In addition to servicing Veterans the candidates selected will perform duties related to increased Outreach activities which may require night, weekend, and holiday duty days.
• Travel is required (approximately 30%), including evening and weekends, depending on mission and assignment.
• Possession and maintenance of a valid Driver’s License issued by the NYS Department of Motor Vehicle is required, or otherwise demonstrate the capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza