Office of Information and Reporting Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-16 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website. https://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/gotit/title-search/index.cfm
55b/c Appointment: These positions are eligible for 55b/c designation and candidates with 55b/c eligibility are encouraged to apply. Candidates must possess a current 55b/c eligibility letter and the following minimum qualifications:
• Either 1. a bachelor's or higher-level degree including or supplemented by 15 semester credit hours in computer science;
• Or 2. a bachelor's or higher-level degree in any field AND one year of experience in information technology;
• Or 3. 60 semester credit hours including or supplemented by 15 semester credit hours in computer science AND one year of experience in information technology;
• Or 4. two years of experience in information technology.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or has completed two years toward earning same degree.
• Experience programming in JAVA, C++, C#, and JS technologies, PL/SQL, as well as with querying databases.
• Experience using coding IDEs for application/project development.
• Experience using code repositories.
• Experience using workflow management tools.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for Two (2) Information Technology Specialist 2 (Programming) positions in the Office of Information and Reporting Services (IRS). This Office is responsible for New York State’s (NYS) data collection, management and reporting processes, including implementing and monitoring NYSED data collection schedule and reporting calendar for federal and State accountability for NYS P-12 and Higher Education. The incumbents of these positions will provide the Information Technology (IT) skills needed to conduct work and service systems critical to ensuring that accurate, valid, and reliable data on students and teachers is collected, maintained, and reported. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop and maintain Information Technology (IT) systems written in JAVA, PL/SQL, SQL, this support would encompass appropriate analysis, development, troubleshooting, testing, and deployment;
• Collaborate with program office and IT staff to understand the business requirements of the information systems;
• Analyze and recommend system modifications based on program office business requirements.
• Coordinate data exchanges between the Department’s various education systems;
• Identify and troubleshoot problems and implement necessary solutions as necessary;
• Ensure that systems and procedures are properly documented, adhere to Department standards, and follow generally accepted IT practices, to foster the integrity of data and automated systems; and
• Prepare materials and create web pages for electronic publication.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: These will be contingent permanent appointments. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
These positions lead to a maximum salary of $80,248 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 18, 2023 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). These recruitments will continue until the positions are filled. Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2410/02021 & P12-2416/03274) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, prior conviction records, prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications, or sealed records.
Interested in a job with New York State, but don’t know where to start?
Visit these links for information on working for New York State:
Generous benefits of working for New York State, including, but not limited to, the following:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave in year one, increasing to 20+ days with additional years of service.
• Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA and eight (8) days paid sick leave annually for M/C.
• Annual professional leave and educational leave opportunities for eligible staff.
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can choose from a variety of affordable and generous health insurance programs.
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost.
• Enrollment in the New York State pension system which has earned the distinction of being one of the best-managed and best-funded plans in the nation OR Optional Retirement Defined Contribution Plan with 8% salary match (eligibility requirements apply).
• NYS Deferred Compensation and an exclusive 403(b) Optional Retirement Savings Plan.
• Paid Parental Leave for all employees and Paid Family Leave (M/C Only).
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
• Opportunities for telecommuting.
• Eligibility for various life insurance options.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 18, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). These recruitments will continue until the positions are filled. Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2410/02021 & P12-2416/03274) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.