Office of Accountability
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Education Research.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements and have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in any of the Professional Educator Titles (Grade 26 or 28), as indicated here: http://www.nysed.gov/hr/section-701-transfer-determinations-between-professional-educator-titles-grade-22-26-and-28.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and candidates with 55b/c eligibility are encouraged to apply. Candidates must possess a current 55b/c eligibility letter and the following minimum qualifications:
• Master’s degree AND four years of professional experience where your primary duty is research. Two years of this experience must have been involved primarily with research on educational issues or topics (bibliographic research is not acceptable).
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have master’s degree AND four years of professional experience where your primary duty is research. Two years of this experience must have been involved primarily with research on educational issues or topics (bibliographic research is not acceptable). Provisional candidates must take the examination for Associate in Education Research when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
· Experience using statistical software (e.g., Stata, R, SQL, or SAS).
· A minimum of 5 years’ experience analyzing the effectiveness of educational programs.
· Experience using Microsoft Excel, Word, and Power Point.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Associate in Education Research position in the Office of Accountability (OA). This Office oversees accountability of schools and Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in New York State for student academic results and the use of Federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) funds. The Office works to close the achievement gap by identifying needs and providing resources and best practices for continuous school improvement to support all schools and LEAs and implements New York’s ESSA State Plan, including the calculation of student growth and English Language Proficiency measures. This includes providing other analytic and data management support to OA. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Utilize quantitative and statistical tools to calculate accountability measures and to make institutional accountability determinations in accordance with New York’s ESSA State Plan and Demonstrable Improvement Determinations for schools in Receivership;
• Review business rules, technical reports, white papers, and communication materials;
• Maintain field communication related to New York State’s accountability system, including responding to questions, preparing public-facing communication materials, and giving presentations, as requested;
• Analyze the effectiveness of educational programs, supports and interventions by developing and examining data sets that include student achievement data, postsecondary variables and other related information;
• Develop policy recommendations regarding strategies for holding schools and districts accountable for performance;
• Interpret and communicate quantitative and qualitative analyses through written reports, oral presentations, and graphical representations;
• Prepare communications and presentations for the Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner, and Assistant Commissioner;
• Develop and present to stakeholders’ information regarding New York’s school and district accountability system;
• Develop new accountability metrics for public reporting and communication;
• Research best practices to support the development, architecture, and maintenance of data systems for accountability and program data;
• Respond to requests for ad hoc analyses to address policy or programmatic questions, including creating ad hoc data report; and
• Undertake special assignments, as directed.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent or temporary provisional appointment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. For provisional appointment candidates must take the examination for Associate in Education Research when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of master’s will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
These positions lead to a maximum salary of $117,825 based on annual performance advances.
Based on this position’s location, in addition to the listed base salary, this position also receives a $3,087 Downstate Adjustment (ONLY if being appointed to the Brooklyn location).
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 18, 2023 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2381/63310) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, prior conviction records, prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications, or sealed records.
Interested in a job with New York State, but don’t know where to start?
Visit these links for information on working for New York State:
Generous benefits of working for New York State, including, but not limited to, the following:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave in year one, increasing to 20+ days with additional years of service.
• Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA and eight (8) days paid sick leave annually for M/C.
• Annual professional leave and educational leave opportunities for eligible staff.
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can choose from a variety of affordable and generous health insurance programs.
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost.
• Enrollment in the New York State pension system which has earned the distinction of being one of the best-managed and best-funded plans in the nation OR Optional Retirement Defined Contribution Plan with 8% salary match (eligibility requirements apply).
• NYS Deferred Compensation and an exclusive 403(b) Optional Retirement Savings Plan.
• Paid Parental Leave for all employees and Paid Family Leave (M/C Only).
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
• Opportunities for telecommuting.
• Eligibility for various life insurance options.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 18, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2381/63310) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.