Minimum Qualifications Qualifications for the Special Counsel position are as follows:
• At least five (5) years of post-graduate civil litigation experience;
• Experience with advocacy and litigation related to consumer protection, fair housing, and/or foreclosure prevention is strongly preferred;
• Experience with complex litigation, including managing discovery and motion practice;
• Excellent oral advocacy, legal analysis, and legal writing and editing skills;
• Strong organizational, interpersonal communication, problem solving, and teamwork skills;
• Proficiency using technology to complete legal work, including knowledge of and experience with various computer software programs and case management and electronic discovery platforms; and
• Ability to work well independently and with a large group of attorneys.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the OAG be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
Duties Description The Office of the New York State Attorney General (OAG) seeks an experienced litigator to serve as Special Counsel in the Executive Division. The selected attorney will support the OAG’s Protect Our Homes Initiative (POHI) which seeks to preserve ownership by protecting New York Homeowners from fraud and scams. The Special Counsel will lead investigations, handle enforcement matters, conduct outreach, and support other strategic initiatives with the goal of combatting deed theft and preserving homeownership across New York State. The Special Counsel will report to the Chief Deputy Attorney General for Social Justice and be located in the New York City office.
In 2020, the OAG launched the POHI to protect homeowners from deed-theft scams through community education and outreach, enforcement actions, and policy and legislative proposals. Deed theft is a real estate scam that targets vulnerable homeowners who are in financial distress but have equity in their home. Through misrepresentation or fraud, homeowners are induced into signing over title to their property. This puts homeowners at risk of losing their home, often their primary financial asset, and possible eviction from their communities. The OAG has organized an interdisciplinary team with expertise in criminal and civil enforcement to support the POHI. The Special Counsel will collaborate with other members of the OAG’s POHI team to develop a strategy to combat deed theft and other real estate scams targeting vulnerable homeowners; review complaints and commence civil enforcement actions; analyze and collaborate on policy proposals, legislation, and amicus briefs; liaise with federal and state agencies, local governments, and nonprofits; and draft policy papers and other documents for publication.
Additional Comments As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. To learn more about Assistant Attorney General compensation, please visit the following page: https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/assistant_attorney_general_compensation.pdf. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Legal Recruitment Bureau - 28 Liberty St
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY
Applications are being received online. To apply, please go to our website, https://ag.ny.gov/job-postings.
Reference No. EXEC/POHI_NYC_SC_3630
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter
- You may address to Legal Recruitment.
- Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you a strong candidate. You may wish to include information about what life experiences you will bring to the position that will enhance the OAG’s ability to better serve the diverse population of this state.
• Legal Writing Sample
• List of three (3) references
? Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
? Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
? Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
? Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov