Minimum Qualifications Permanent: Reachable on the Department of Civil Service Eligible list for Administrative Assistant 1 (formerly Secretary 1), OR permanent or contingent permanent status as an Administrative Assistant 1 OR eligible to transfer into traineeship.
Provisional: Candidates must be a qualified employee of New York State and have one year of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as an office assistant, clerical or keyboarding title allocated to SG-6 or higher.
Candidates must demonstrate adequate keyboarding skills by prior service in a keyboarding title OR successful completion of a Keyboard performance test.
*Successful completion of a two-year traineeship leads to appointment as an Administrative Assistant 1, SG-11.
Duties Description DUTIES:
Process Incoming Communication
• Answer, screen, and redirect incoming phone calls with a professional and friendly disposition.
• Greet, direct, and provide materials to in-person office visitors with excellent customer service.
• Open mail, email, and faxes and review, scan, log in, distribute, and / or file as needed using established office procedures
• Set up and maintain paper and electronic files for each new case opened.
• Enter data and generate reports from case management systems (NYMatters).
• Recognize emergent or unusual matters that should be flagged for the appropriate staff, such as service of process relevant to CLAIMS or other litigation.
• Review media subscriptions for articles of interest for the office and flag for staff, time permitting.
• Keep staff informed of, and schedule as needed, phone conferences, meetings, court appearances, and legal filings due.
• Communicate, and maintain positive working relationships, with OAG, Court, and client agency staff.
• Maintain office calendars to ensure that they are accurate and current.
• Provide administrative assistance to staff.
• Keep track of supplies and office machines and order material or repair services as needed.
• Supervise LDDS staff and Administrative Assistant interns during summer admin internship program.
• Complete other administrative tasks as assigned.
• Notarize documents as needed (if not a notary, must apply upon hiring).
• Maintain case closing procedures by closing case in NYMatters as each case is resolved and entering data into PAM and arrange for transfer of closed paper files to PAM facility Improve upon office organization, function and systems.
• Problem-solve with a positive, can-do attitude, and positively contribute to office morale.
Process Outgoing Communication
• Independently compose simple email, faxes, and letters as directed by legal staff.
• Prepare outgoing mail (copy, scan, address, affix postage, and deliver to postal box).
• Prepare outgoing overnight mail to include delivery to drop box when necessary.
• Arrange meetings with, and request documents from, other agencies as requested .
• File documents as requested in NYS court electronic filing systems (Supreme and Surrogates).
• All other duties as assigned.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPreferred method of applying is via e-mail to email@example.com. You must include vacancy ID# 144880 in the subject line. Please be sure your submitted cover letter and resume indicate your current Civil Service title.