110 State Street
Minimum Qualifications You must be currently reachable on the appropriate eligible list for this title, eligible under the 55 b/c program (see below), or eligible to transfer to this title under Section 70.1 or 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Depending on qualifications, you may be required to serve a 1 or 2-year traineeship that leads to the full level grade 18 position.
For a 70.1 transfer to a Payroll Analyst 1, SG-18, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 16 or above.
70.1 Transfer to a trainee 2:
For a 70.1 transfer to the trainee 2, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 12 or above.
70.1 Transfer to a trainee 1:
For a 70.1 transfer to the trainee 1, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 70.1 title allocated to a salary grade 11 or above.
For a 52.6 transfer to a Payroll Analyst 1, SG-18, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 52.6 title allocated to a salary grade 16 or above.
52.6 Transfer to a trainee 2:
For a 52.6 transfer to the trainee 2, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 52.6 title allocated to a salary grade 12 or above.
52.6 Transfer to a trainee 1:
For a 52.6 transfer to the trainee 1, you must have one year of permanent competitive service in an approved 52.6 title allocated to a salary grade 11 or above.
To determine if your current Civil Service title is eligible for transfer to this title, visit the Career Mobility GOT-IT website: Career Mobility Office » GOT-IT (ny.gov)
Appointments via transfer must not result in a second, consecutive transfer with an advancement of more than two S-grades or one M-grade.
This position may be designated 55 b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility.
For 55 b/c appointment, you must:
• Possess the minimum qualifications for the selected title as established by the Department of Civil Service and listed on the most recent exam announcement. Professional Career Opportunities (ny.gov)
• Meet the applicable minimal mental and/or physical requirements for the job (with a reasonable accommodation, if necessary)
• Have a current Eligibility Letter from the NYS Department of Civil Service, www.cs.ny.gov/rp55/, and be able to provide it to the Human Resources Office upon request.
*If you are currently 55b/c eligible and possess a bachelor’s degree, we encourage you to apply for this position.
Duties Description Reviews and audits payroll transactions for accuracy.
• Analyze data and resolve complex auditing problems for assigned and unassigned agencies.
• Run queries and initiate post audit review of transactions.
• Provide assistance to other audit staff and customers and determine corrective action for audit problems.
Implementation of statewide business processes which impact the weekly administration of the different payroll cycles.
• Entry level professional level. May supervise and guide subordinate Payroll Specialist 1 and 2 staff. Responsible for assignments to staff and/or monitoring daily/weekly completion of all work in the Executive Salary Calculations and Determinations Unit.
• Assist and monitor staff with or perform the completion of the weekly review of transactions submitted by agencies in PayServ.
• Initiate post audit payroll reviews consistent with payroll business rules.
• Serve as the lead analyst on payroll projects and studies.
Provide payroll information to State agencies.
• Answer questions in the Payroll Earnings Mailbox.
• Provide all NYS agencies with salary information via telephone and email.
• Research and analyze salary history records.
• Coordinate staff responses to correspondence from employees and agencies.
Additional Comments Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Detail orientated and produces an accurate and timely work product.
• Works well independently and in a team environment.
• Ability to provide training and guidance to employees.
• Ability to assess multiple competing priorities.
• Strong customer service skills.
• Ability to analyze data and identify and resolve complex auditing problems.
• Ability to conduct timely, accurate, and thorough research.
• Ability to analyze and review weekly workflow.
The Office of the New York State Comptroller (OSC) supports telecommuting where it is reasonable to do so based upon the agency’s mission and operational needs. Generally, employees new to OSC will be restricted from telecommuting for at least 8 calendar weeks. After the initial 8 calendar week restriction, if an employee’s duties and work performance are aligned with telecommuting they may be allowed to do so. Upon approval to telecommute, OSC employees may telecommute up to 5 days per pay period.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
110 State Street, 12th Floor
Notes on ApplyingSubmit a clear, concise cover letter and resume stating how you meet the above minimum qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than December 12, 2023. Reference Item #02077-OER-CMS in the subject line and on the cover letter for proper routing.
If you have questions about this vacancy, please contact this Division representative:
Division contact: Anastasia Strokes, email@example.com
When responding, please include the reference number from this section only. The StateJobsNY website Vacancy ID # should not be included.