Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications Required for Appointment:
Open to NYS employees with one year of permanent competitive service as a Senior Computer Operator or Data Processing Clerk 3 who are eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. The transfer cannot be a second consecutive transfer resulting in an advancement of more than two salary grades.
Minimum Qualification for 52.7 Non-Competitive Promotion:
If there are no more than three qualified candidates in the promotion field within this agency for this position, the agency will request approval from the Department of Civil Service to fill this position via a noncompetitive promotion (NCP) examination, pursuant to Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law. In order to be eligible for a NCP, candidates must be a current New York Office of IT Services employee in the direct promotion field with one year or more permanent, contingent-permanent, or 55b/c status as a Computer Operator
Minimum Qualification for Provisional pending exam appointment:
Open to NYS employees with three months of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as Computer Operator.
Candidates who have graduated from high school or have earned a high school equivalency diploma AND at least ONE of the following:
Either 1. at least 12 college semester credit hours in a computer-related field such as Computer Science, Computer Information Technology, Management Information Systems, or Computer Information Systems;
Or 2. Successful completion of high school vocational studies related to large scale Computer Information Systems AND at least ONE of the following:
a. six or more college semester credit hours in a computer-related field such as Computer Science, Computer Information Technology, Management Information Systems, or Computer Information Systems; Or
b. six months full-time experience in the operation of a mainframe or medium to large server or complex, multi-variable print production. Use or operation of personal computers or personal printers will NOT be considered qualifying;
Or 3. one year full-time experience in the operation of a mainframe or medium to large server or complex, multi-variable print production. Use or operation of personal computers or personal printers will NOT be considered qualifying.
Candidates appointed provisionally, must take the next Civil Service examination given for the job title, pass it, and be reachable for appointment on the resulting eligible list. If a provisionally appointed employee is either not successful on the examination or passes the examination but is not reachable on the resulting eligible list, the provisionally appointed candidate generally will not be allowed to remain in the position.
Duties Description Under the direction of the Chief Computer Operator, SG-23, within the Chief Technology Office/Data Center Services, the position will monitor and control the operation of data processing equipment in conformance with documented procedures. Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Maintain and completes all records, logs and reports as required.
• Place service call requests when required.
• Assist with monitoring Data Center environmental equipment and responds to alarms generated by environmental equipment such as AC units, power distribution units, UPS, backup generator, fire suppression system, and security systems.
• Perform basic console monitoring and other tasks as assigned.
• Notify appropriate parties regarding application or system problems, according to procedure.
• Operate peripheral equipment including, but not limited to, Xerox and/or IBM printers and/or personal computers.
• Load and mounts paper onto equipment
• Monitor job progress on print console.
• Check for equipment errors and take corrective action in response to minor error messages.
• Check operation of printers to assure proper alignment and sequence of forms.
• Remove jammed forms.
• Notify supervisor of equipment problems.
• Review completed jobs to ensure compliance with user agency specifications.
• Maintain job status logs.
• Perform routine maintenance and cleaning duties including cleaning printer and the work area.
• Perform duties that require one to bend, stoop, lift heavy (up to 50 lbs.) objects, push up to 1000 rolling pounds, and operate a pallet jack during a normal business day.
• Perform the full range of supervisory
Additional Comments Assignment will include a restriction on playing Lottery games.
Due to the secure nature of the work at the Data Center, candidates will be required to undergo a special background check.
Some travel to the other Data Center Sites may be needed for site coverage and for escort duty of non-authorized visitors
More information on shift, lottery restrictions and background checks will be discussed at the time of interview.
Fingerprinting and background check are required for employment with ITS.
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
Up to Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
Up to Eight (8) days of paid sick leave annually for M/C
Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
NYS Deferred Compensation
Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
And many more.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Swan St Building, Core 4
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and transcripts if applying provisionally. Please indicate that you are applying for the Senior Computer Operator Ref #5647 , and include the Vacancy ID in the subject of your email.
Your Social Security Number may be required in order to confirm your eligibility.