5 University Place, Suite A310
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
Candidates must be current state employees and have a reachable score on the Student Loan Control Rep 1 list; or
Have a current permanent appointment with 1 year of service as a Student Loan Control Rep 1, or as a title eligible for transfer to Student Loan Control Rep 1; or
Have an appointment as Student Loan Control Rep 1 here at UAlbany with less than 1 year of service (remainder of probationary period to be completed in new assignment); or
Be a former state employee eligible for reinstatement to the title of Student Loan Control Rep 1.
PROVISIONAL PENDING EXAM
Minimum Qualifications Open Competitive:
Candidates must be eligible to take and pass the next available Student Loan Control Representative 1 exam and obtain a reachable score for consideration for possible contingent / permanent appointment. Candidates must have two (2) years of debt collection experience.
Qualifying Experience: Experience in debt collection, where the majority of collection activities include regular contact with borrowers, lending institutions, and/or third parties for the collection of delinquent and/or defaulted loans. Activities include experience with incoming and outgoing calls, personal contact; skip tracing and negotiations of payment arrangements. This experience is usually obtained from a collection agency or various other institutions that have a collection department within the institution and its primary function and activities are related to debt collection.
Non-Qualifying Experience: Experience limited to loan origination, customer service related to inquires about loan balances, payment due dates, loan payoff amounts, or other maintenance of accounts or inquiries about the account are considered non qualifying experience.
Duties Description 1. Provide assistance to borrowers or campus staff having questions related to the campus-based student loan programs. Have a comprehensive understanding of the federal regulations governing each loan program in order to provide accurate information and guidance to the caller. Document the nature of the call within the loan memo history in SAL and follow up with a written reply or a return call when necessary. Remain professional and courteous with all callers.
2. Receive written correspondence or email messages from borrowers, and after careful review, provide accurate and complete information in response. Typewritten letters or email replies must be reviewed for completeness and accuracy before the response is sent and the borrower’s account is to be noted within SAL of the response that was required.
3. Review and analyze accounts when processing benefit applications or other documents. Approve or deny the benefit applications and process related corrections or updates to each loan. Provide confirmation of the action on the application to the loan borrower or request additional documentation when necessary. Review thoroughly to ensure that the adjustments and updates to the loan are accurate.
4. Utilize the loan collection module to make the required due diligence contacts by phone or mail to delinquent borrowers, including those in the cohort. Attempt to resolve and cure the default by making repayment arrangements with the borrower or by providing guidance on the benefits that may be available, and courteously educate the borrower on the consequences of default. After completion of the due diligence requirements, if attempts to resolve the delinquent status are unsuccessful, prepare the loan for assignment to external collection agencies.
5. Be familiar with procedures involving acceleration, skip-tracing, credit checks and third-party agencies, and be aware of the requirements and restrictions of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (P.L. 95-109).
6. Assist with special projects and other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments To apply, please go to: https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=170310
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three-year period.
Please refer to the following website for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”): http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
1400 Washington Avenue, UAB 300