Minimum Qualifications Permanent: Reachable on the Department of Civil Service Eligible list for Administrative Assistant 2 (formerly Secretary 2) OR permanent or contingent permanent status as an Administrative Assistant 2 OR eligible to transfer.
Provisional: Current NYS employee with one year of permanent service in a following title, may be appointed on a provisional basis: Examination Composition Assistant, Keyboard specialist 2, Keyboard Specialist 2 (Spanish Language), Keyboard Specialist 3, Law Department Document Specialist, Office Assistant 2 Keyboarding, Office Assistant 2 Keyboarding (Spanish Language), Secretary 1/ Administrative Assistant 1, Secretary 1/Administrative Assistant 1 (Spanish Language), or Senior Data Entry Machine Operator.
Note: Provisional appointments are made pending an exam and will be revoked if the selected candidate is not immediately reachable on the eligible list resulting from the next holding of the exam.
Duties Description This position is in our Litigation Bureau in Albany.
This position reports to the Deputy Bureau Chief of the Albany Litigation Bureau. Duties include:
Incarcerated Individual Litigation Unit:
• Maintain the Unit’s calendar of significant dates, including due dates for court filings, deposition schedules, and leaves. Send reminders of these dates to the attorneys, Section Chief and Special Counsel.
• Make arrangements for deposition rooms at prisons or arrange for the transfer of the plaintiff-incarcerated individuals to a closer prison, if necessary. Arrange for court reporter(s); secure gate clearances for the attending AAGs and court reporters.
• Make all travel arrangements for the Unit’s attorneys.
• Organize the Unit’s files, ensuring that incoming documents are appropriately filed, and the files are closed in a timely manner.
• Perform administrative control of the P-78 practice; create and maintain a database to track all of the nearly 100 files that are processed by the practice group each month.
• Send reminders to staff assigned to each file as the deadline for filing and serving responding papers approaches; record the receipt of reply papers and decisions, and track deadlines for the filing of notices of appeal, and dates when files can be safely closed.
• When substantive legal issues arise, collect memoranda from staff outlining the legal issues involved and suggested or alternative resolutions, and present to the DBC for resolution. Once resolved by the DBC, disseminate the determination to all P-78 staff for application to the instant matter, and for application to future matters raising the same or similar issue.
• Assist the assigned AAG in updating the P-78 law bank by collecting from each AAG and legal assistant source material currently used to respond to P-78 petition, organizing that collection by topic and presenting the collection to the assigned AAG and legal assistant for review, editing and updating.
General Bureau Management:
• Keep track of issues assigned to the DBC and ensure that action on each is taken in a timely manner.
• Act as backup for the Bureau Chief’s secretary during her absence, performing all duties of both positions.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The OAG is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to workplace diversity.
As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingCurrent state employees who meet the minimum qualifications as stated may submit a cover letter and resume to HR.Recruitment@ag.ny.gov. Please indicate Vacancy ID # 144951 in the subject line and be sure to indicate how you qualify.