44 Holland Avenue
Minimum Qualifications Transfer Opportunity:
Candidates must be permanent in the Assistant Director Nursing 1 (Psychiatric) (formerly Mental Hygiene Nursing Program Coordinator), M-1, title and be eligible for lateral transfer; OR candidates must be eligible to transfer via Section 52.6 or 70.1 of the Civil Service Law by having at least one year of permanent service in a qualifying title within one M grade (or two salary grades) of the M-1 (Grade 25) level.
In the event there is no viable Civil Service list, a provisional appointment may be made. In order to be eligible for a provisional appointment, candidates must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had one year of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as a:
Registered Nurse Supervisor 1 (Psychiatric) (formerly Nurse Administrator 1 Psychiatric) or Nurse Administrator 2 (Psychiatric) and must have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Nursing, Nursing Administration, Health Care Administration, Public Health, Community Mental Health, or Health Administration along with possession of a license and current registration as registered professional nurse in New York State .
Candidates appointed provisionally must take the next scheduled Civil Service examination for this title, and their score must be reachable on the resulting eligible list before they can be permanently appointed. Candidates who do not pass the examination or achieve a reachable score may not be retained. At this time, a date for the Assistant Director Nursing 1 (Psychiatric) examination has not been announced.
Duties Description The New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH) is seeking a qualified candidate to fill an Assistant Director Nursing 1 (Psychiatric), M-1, position. Under the general direction of the Chief Executive Nursing Officer, the Assistant Director Nursing 1 (Psychiatric) will be responsible for the standardization of nursing practices, the creation of standardized nursing policies and procedures, and the implementation of evidence informed psychiatric mental health nursing practices including increasing the use of new technologies across all facilities and programs.
Specific duties to be performed may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Collaborates with the Facility Chief Nursing Officers and assigned facility staff on the development and implementation of standardized OMH nursing policies and procedures, and implementation of strategies to drive evidenced-based and best practices to improve quality and drive excellence in psychiatric nursing practices.
• Collaborates with Division of State Operated Children’s and Adult Services, facility Chief Nursing Officers and the Office of Quality Management staff in the development and implementation of performance improvement quality projects related to professional practices for nurses in adherence to OMH, federal, state, CMS and Joint Commission standards, regulations and policies.
• Collaborates with the staff from the Office of Quality Management on the completion of mock surveys, following up on incidents and reviews of plans of corrective actions, related to Joint Commission surveys and accreditation requirements.
• Collaborates with Central Office Human Resources Department on activities related to Civil Service nursing examinations, serves as the OMH nursing subject matter expert, and helps to define new nursing roles and competencies for psychiatric center and community care
• Serves as the nursing lead and business owner on all nursing informatics projects; procurement of an electronic health record, centralized scheduler and all technologies and tools related to nursing practice.
• Provides on-site training and coaching to improve uptake and drive dissemination of priority initiatives and evidenced based practices at State Operated Facilities and Programs to improve the safety and quality of patient care.
• Provides oversight of all activities related to the Nurse Development Program (NDP); development of the annual spending plan, the monitoring of the program activities to ensure compliance with the Consolidated Business Office rules and Internal Controls established for this program.
• Responsible for the supervision of the NDP Administrator
• Responsible for the supervision of all activities related to recruitment and retention of psychiatric center nursing services staff including the supervision of the OCNS staff responsible for recruitment and retention activities.
• Leads nursing workgroup researching and applying for nursing research grants to provide resources to strengthen and enhance career ladder bridge programs that advance nursing personnel and registered nurses to advance degrees.
• Responsible for coverage of the Office of Coordinated Nursing Service in the absence of the Chief Executive Nursing Officer.
Additional Comments Posted salary includes a $15,539.00 Increased Hiring Rate as well as a $20,000.00 Geographic Pay Differential.
Specific scheduled hours and telecommuting availability for this position will be discussed during the interview process. Please note, employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to operational needs and Agency Telecommuting Program Guidelines.
The Mission of the New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH) is to promote the mental health of all New Yorkers, with a focus on providing hope and supporting recovery for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbances. Applicants with lived mental health experience are encouraged to apply. OMH is deeply committed to supporting underserved individuals, organizations and communities. To this end, OMH is focused on implementing activities and initiatives to reduce disparities in access, quality, and treatment outcomes for underserved populations. A critical component of these efforts is ensuring OMH is a diverse and inclusive workplace where the unique attributes and skills of all employees are valued and utilized to support the mission of the Agency. OMH is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
44 Holland Avenue
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for this position, interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format to email@example.com. Please include the title of the position and Vacancy ID #145038 in the subject line of your email when applying.
You are advised that, should you accept a job offer with the Office of Mental Health, you may be required to be fingerprinted and pay a fingerprint fee.