Minimum Qualifications Applicants should have a minimum of three (3) years of relevant post-graduate legal experience. Excellent organizational, writing, legal research, and analytical skills are required.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that OAG attorneys be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
Duties Description The Executive Division of the Office of the New York State Attorney General (OAG) is seeking an attorney with in-house counsel and litigation experience for an Associate General Counsel position with the Office of the General Counsel (OGC). Experience collaborating across teams, including with human resources, reviewing contracts, and compliance in the government sector are also desired.
The Executive Division maintains the functions of the OAG and, in addition to the OGC, includes the Senior Leadership Team, Chief Deputy Attorneys General (CDAGs), the Solicitor General, and the directors of Communications, Intergovernmental Affairs, Legislative Affairs, and Research & Analytics. The Executive Division’s responsibilities include policy development, public relations, community outreach, research and analytics, drafting proposed legislation, monitoring legislation that affects the OAG, and the day-to-day administration of the office.
The selected candidate will work for the OGC. As the in-house counsel to the Attorney General and the OAG, the OGC works collaboratively across all divisions to provide guidance and develop legal strategies and responses; draft, interpret, and implement OAG policies and procedures; identify potential litigation/policy issues or strategies; implement compliance and supervise ethical determinations; interact with other governmental and legal entities; and handle employee and other confidential matters as required. This position will report directly to the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel and is located in the New York City Office.
• Assisting with administrative proceedings and responding to subpoenas;
• Assisting in litigation management and appearing in court as needed;
• Consulting and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to enhance the OAG’s ability to execute legal and legislative initiatives that address critical issues facing New York State and its residents;
• Assisting in employment and labor law matters;
• Assisting in developing policies and best practices for the OAG;
• Collaborating with senior staff on internal administrative changes, affirmative litigation, and legislative and policy initiatives;
• Attending meetings on behalf of the OGC and the OAG;
• Reviewing and/or drafting contracts, procurement documents, agreements, and other written agency materials;
• Researching and interpreting statutes, rules, regulations, and case law; and
• Reviewing the work of other OGC and OAG employees.
Additional Comments As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. To learn more about attorney compensation, please visit the following page: https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/assistant_attorney_general_compensation.pdf. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Legal Recruitment Bureau - 28 Liberty St
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY
Applications are being received online. To apply, please go to our website, https://ag.ny.gov/job-postings.
Reference No. EXEC/OGC_AGC_NYC_3631
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter
- You may address to Legal Recruitment.
- Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you a strong candidate. You may wish to include information about what life experiences you will bring to the position that will enhance the OAG’s ability to better serve the diverse population of this state.
• Legal Writing Sample
• List of three (3) references
? Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
? Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
? Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
? Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov