Minimum Qualifications Appointment method:
List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Human Resources 2, #38-201.
Transfer: Must be in a title eligible to transfer via Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Information regarding transfer eligibility may be available on the Civil Service Career Mobility Office website at: http://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/
Please Note that under Civil Service Law, an employee cannot have two consecutive upward 70.1 or 52.6 transfers without an intervening eligible list appointment, if such transfers would result in an increase of more than two salary grades.
Duties Description The New York State Department of Financial Services seeks to build an equitable, transparent, and resilient financial system that benefits individuals and supports business. Through engagement, data-driven regulation and policy, and operational excellence, the Department and its employees are responsible for empowering consumers and protecting them from financial harm; ensuring the health of the entities we regulate; driving economic growth in New York through responsible innovation; and preserving the stability of the global financial system.
The Department of Financial Services seeks applicants for the position of Human Resources Specialist 2 in the Office of Human Resources Management located in Albany. The Office of Human Resources Management provides personnel services, staff development, labor relations and employee benefits to staff in various diverse program areas of the Department of Financial Services.
The incumbent will assist in the administration of examination planning, classification and compensation, recruitment, staffing and will provide guidance to program staff on personnel matters. They will supervise staff in their performance of duties as related to all previously listed areas. Duties will include, but not be limited to the following:
• Develops and maintains relationships with business unit designees to assess recruitment needs;
• Evaluates recruitment effectiveness through review and analytical input and feedback;
• Handles high volume of agency recruitments from start to completion;
• Reviews the status of eligible lists, examination schedules, and existing and anticipated staff requirements to identify critical examination considerations. Confers with agency program managers and Department of Civil Service representatives on possible actions, such as recruitment or accelerated examinations, to resolve critical needs;
• Supervises the canvass of eligible lists and arranges for appropriate program supervisory participation in employment interviews;
• Prepares and/or supervises the preparation of agency classification requests and justification. Confers with program staff, Department of Civil Service, and Division of the Budget representatives to further explain and support classification proposals;
• Participates in the development and implementation of decentralized examinations as authorized by the Department of Civil Service;
• Assists in agency examination planning and development with the Department of Civil Service;
• Supervises and trains lower level professional staff in the procedures and techniques required to perform their duties;
• Reviews and evaluates policies and procedures and work processes; and recommends and implements new and revised ones;
• Assists the Human Resources Director with projects related to advancing the agenda for DFS, as assigned;
• Schedules and assigns work to subordinate staff; and adjusts workload to reflect changes. Monitors work progress and reviews completed work; and
• Other duties as assigned.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than December 14, 2023 to the email address listed below. Please include (Box HRS 2-00709) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
Box HRS 2-00709
New York State Department of Financial Services Office of Human Resources Management 99 Washington Avenue, Suite 301 Albany, New York 12257 Email: Jonelle.Bayer@dfs.ny.gov Fax: (518) 486-1774
Please note that not all applicants may be scheduled for an interview.
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Employment with New York State qualifies an individual for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF). This program forgives the remaining balance on any Direct Student Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time for a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization. To learn more about the program and whether you would qualify, please visit: https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.