Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have two years of full-time experience in maintenance or mechanical work under the supervision of a skilled tradesperson; OR completion of an appropriate two year technical school course at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services, such as the New York State Civil Service Employees Association-Partnership (NYS CSEA-P) Applied Skilled Trades Certificate Program*; OR an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of appropriate technical courses at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services; AND possess a valid New York State driver’s license.
*Successful completion of the NYS CSEA-P Applied Skilled Trades Certificate Program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific classroom instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. It does not include 4,000 hours of on-the-job training, as required for the NYS CSEA-P Applied Skilled Trades Traineeship.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Maintenance Assistant position in the New York State School for the Blind (NYSSB). The incumbent of this position will work under the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor 3 and will perform a variety of semiskilled maintenance, repair, and related activities in one or a combination of mechanical, building, construction, motor vehicle and electrical trades. The incumbent will perform activities in support of the overall repair work on structures and equipment using hand and portable power tools, shop equipment, and measuring and testing instruments, and may occasionally operate trucks and light construction equipment and perform journey-level activities under supervision or after receiving detailed instruction. The incumbent may also supervise unskilled staff as necessary. Duties of this position will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Maintain a working knowledge of the codes, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in various trades such as electrical, plumbing, carpentry, HVAC, motor vehicle and small engine repair, landscaping and snow removal;
• Maintain a working knowledge of health and safety precautions according to OSHA regulations;
• Read plans, specifications, manuals, and blueprints;
• Climb ladders and work at heights on scaffolds and platforms;
• Perform routine, repetitive maintenance, installation, and repair of the mechanical, building construction, motor equipment, electrical and plumbing, heating, hot water components and equipment and related activities; and
• Maintain appropriate supply inventories for the maintenance and repair of various equipment throughout the facility.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent, non-competitive appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of a valid New York State driver’s license will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess a valid New York State driver’s license at the time of hire. Continued employment as a Maintenance Assistant is dependent upon maintaining a valid New York State driver’s license. Failure to maintain a valid New York State driver’s license will result in removal from employment. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Fees associated with fingerprinting do not apply if applicant’s fingerprints exist in the NYS TEACH System. The work schedules for this position will be Sunday-Thursday, 11:00am-7:30pm.
This position leads to a maximum salary of $49,405 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 14, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (BAT-467/00623) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, prior conviction records, prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications, or sealed records.
Interested in a job with New York State, but don’t know where to start?
Visit these links for information on working for New York State:
Generous benefits of working for New York State, including, but not limited to, the following:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave in year one, increasing to 20+ days with additional years of service.
• Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA and eight (8) days paid sick leave annually for M/C.
• Annual professional leave and educational leave opportunities for eligible staff.
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can choose from a variety of affordable and generous health insurance programs.
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost.
• Enrollment in the New York State pension system which has earned the distinction of being one of the best-managed and best-funded plans in the nation OR Optional Retirement Defined Contribution Plan with 8% salary match (eligibility requirements apply).
• NYS Deferred Compensation and an exclusive 403(b) Optional Retirement Savings Plan.
• Paid Parental Leave for all employees and Paid Family Leave (M/C Only).
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
• Opportunities for telecommuting.
• Eligibility for various life insurance options.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB, OHRM
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 14, 2023 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (BAT-467/00623) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.