Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must possess a license and current registration as a registered professional nurse in New York State.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Preference may be given to candidates who have:
• Experience working with deaf students; and
• The ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Registered Nurse 1 (Substitute) position at the New York State School for the Deaf (NYSSD). Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide nursing intervention services for day and residential students;
• Provide instructional and dorm staff with information regarding students’ health in order to provide adequate care for the students;
• Develop and maintain communication with parents, staff, and students;
• Maintain accurate documentation of health records;
• Maintain infection control standards;
• Conduct health teaching and counseling; and
• Provide supportive or restorative care.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a temporary, on-call, hourly position. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Fees associated with fingerprinting do not apply if applicant’s fingerprints exist in the NYS TEACH System. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Substitutes are notified by phone when services are needed. Every effort is made to give 24-hour prior notice.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 21, 2023 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (ROM-407/00251) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
New York State Education Department (NYSED) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, gender identity, prior conviction records, prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications, or sealed records.
Interested in a job with New York State, but don’t know where to start?
Visit these links for information on working for New York State:
Generous benefits of working for New York State, including, but not limited to, the following:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave in year one, increasing to 20+ days with additional years of service.
• Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA and eight (8) days paid sick leave annually for M/C.
• Annual professional leave and educational leave opportunities for eligible staff.
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can choose from a variety of affordable and generous health insurance programs.
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost.
• Enrollment in the New York State pension system which has earned the distinction of being one of the best-managed and best-funded plans in the nation OR Optional Retirement Defined Contribution Plan with 8% salary match (eligibility requirements apply).
• NYS Deferred Compensation and an exclusive 403(b) Optional Retirement Savings Plan.
• Paid Parental Leave for all employees and Paid Family Leave (M/C Only).
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
• Opportunities for telecommuting.
• Eligibility for various life insurance options.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by December 21, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (ROM-407/00251) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Links to application materials will not be accepted (i.e., Google Docs). Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.