Duties Description The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP) in the Genesee Region is seeking Trails Laborers to assist in maintaining and enhancing the trail systems within Letchworth State Park and the Genesee Region. The Letchworth Trails Laborer will work as part of a team to perform a wide range of trail maintenance and construction tasks. The Letchworth Trails laborers will report directly to the assigned Park Supervisor or Trail Specialist. The position will work with up to four trail crew members and assist volunteer group projects. This position is a 40 hour/week, Monday – Thursday, long-term seasonal position. The typical workday will be 7:00am – 5:30pm, with a 30 minute lunch. The start date of this position is December 14, 2023. Housing is not provided.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Performing field projects and working with aspects of trail layout/design, assessments, maintenance, and construction.
• Working closely with the Park Supervisor and Park Trail Specialist on trail maintenance priorities.
• Working and coordinating with park staff, volunteers, or contractors to identify trail work and safety concerns; implementing corrective actions.
• Abiding by natural resource management practices, laws, and regulations regarding wildlife and sensitive species protection, storm water protection related to trail construction and maintenance.
• New trail construction.
• Tread and drainage improvements, dimensional lumber stairs and retaining walls, bridge and boardwalk construction.
• Hazardous tree removal including tree and brush work that at times requires the use of a chainsaw.
• Upkeep of stone staircases and retaining walls.
• General facilities maintenance.
• The position requires work on uneven and steep terrain, carrying and moving tools, materials, and equipment weighing 50 pounds or more.
• Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions, with both hand and power tools.
Additional Comments OPERATING NEEDS:
• Ability to perform medium to heavy physical labor and to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
• Experience or familiarity with using hand tools, power tools, and performing/troubleshooting basic tool maintenance.
• Must have the ability to operate a chainsaw and complete equivalent training to Game of Logging 1, 2 and 3 during the next training session.
• Must have the ability to demonstrate safe working practices.
• Must have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Must have the ability to be professional and represent a state agency.
• A valid driver’s license.
PREFERRED OPERATING NEEDS:
• Two years of experience with outdoor labor, particularly trail maintenance and construction or any of the following: dry stone masonry, carpentry, landscaping, general construction.
• Experience with trail-related tools including shovels, picks, rock bars, rogue hoes, chainsaws, gas augers, rock drills, stone shaping tools.
• Experience operating light equipment such as skid steers, mini-excavators, and UTV’s.
• Experience working with ropes, winches, and high line rigging systems, or arborist work.
• Leadership skills including volunteer coordination.
• Experience with handheld GPS data collection and ArcGIS online.
This position has the option to join the NYS Employee’s Retirement System and is eligible for health insurance as well as dental and vision coverage. There is an opportunity for paid time off in the form of vacation, sick, personal, and holiday leave after time & service requirements have been met.
This position is eligible to receive certifications for the following, but not limited to:
• CPR/First Aid
• Respirator Fit Test & Use Training
• Equipment Trailering/Load Securement Training
• UTV Operator/Safety Training
• Tractor Operator/Safety Training
• Risk Tree Assessment Training
• Game of Logging Level 1 & 2 or equivalent Training
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
1 Letchworth State Park
Notes on ApplyingIf you feel you meet the minimum qualifications and the agency’s operating needs, and are interested in being considered for this vacancy, you can obtain an Employment Application from your local park office, your region’s administrative headquarters or you can download an application from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at www.parks.ny.gov/employment. Please forward your application and resume, to Deanna Flint, Letchworth State Park, 1 Letchworth State Park, Castile, NY 14427 or by email to Genesee.Employment@parks.ny.gov. If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Hank Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org or (585) 689-3472. All qualified persons are invited and encouraged to apply.
It is the responsibility of each applicant to accurately describe their experience and demonstrate that they meet the minimum qualifications and agency operating needs.
Join our team! Come see why it's great to work for New York State Parks!