Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Candidates reachable on the Civil Service Eligible list(s) will be canvassed. However, you may also apply if you are eligible for appointment by one of the following qualifications:
REASSIGNMENT QUALIFICATIONS: Current New York State Department of Labor employee with at least one year of permanent, contingent-permanent, or 55b/c service as a Senior Security Officer; if you have less than one year, you must be reachable on the current eligible list for this location, if one exists.
70.1 TRANSFER QUALIFICATIONS: One year of permanent, contingent-permanent, or 55b/c service as a Security Services Assistant 2 or a Correction Officer.
Provisional Qualifications: You must be a qualified Department of Labor employee and have at least one year of permanent service as a Senior Security Officer. The appointed candidate would have to take, pass and be reachable on the next holding of the examination to be appointed permanently.
Good communication skills
Knowledge/experience with access control and CCTV systems
Being proficient in Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point) and Adobe will be beneficial and is a desired skill.
Ability to initiate and maintain relationships across a diverse set of stakeholders.
Note: The appointed candidate must have a valid Security Guard License.
Duties Description STANDARD DUTIES:
The Senior Security Officer, Grade 11 will directly supervise security operations at Department of Labor.
• Scheduling staff assignments to maintain coverage of facilities during all hours when a security presence is necessary.
• Providing in-service and on-the-job training for security personnel in security techniques.
• Visiting local offices to inspect the conduct and performance of security staff and reviews staff log books and incident reports.
• Taking corrective actions as necessary in cases of subordinate employee misconduct, unsafe conditions, and security risks at facilities.
• Participating in local safety and health meetings.
• Reviewing and resolving unusual incident reports and advising supervisors or other security managers of resolutions to issues.
• Maintaining knowledge of applicable federal, State and local laws, rules and regulations governing the security operation.
• Testifying in court regarding security incidents involving department staff, clients and property.
• May perform all duties of Security Officer. Performs the full range of staff supervisory responsibilities such as conducting performance reviews and completing probationary reports.
• Assist with and support the functions of emergency management services.
Additional Comments To be considered for this position, a review of your state history is needed. Please provide the last four digits of your social security number in your email response or on your resume. If you are not comfortable providing this information in your response, a representative from our office will contact you via phone.
If you are a current NYS employee and have questions regarding salary, please contact the Business Services Center (BSC): 518-457-4272, BSCHR@ogs.ny.gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
State Office Campus, Building 12, Room 561
Notes on ApplyingAll candidates must submit a written resume and cover letter which clearly demonstrates how they meet the minimum qualifications for the position. These documents must be received by December 14, 2023, and submitted via email to email@example.com or mailed to the NYS Department of Labor, Personnel Bureau, Building 12, Room 561, State Office Campus, Albany, NY 12240. You must include, Vacancy ID #145171, Senior Security Officer - New York in the subject line of your email. Failure to do so may result in a delay of processing your application.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Department of Labor is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to ensuring equal opportunity for persons with disabilities and workplace diversity.
New York State (NYS) is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. NYS Law prohibits discrimination because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic violence victim status, carrier status, gender identity or prior conviction records, or prior arrests, youthful offender adjudications or sealed records unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
If you are a person with a disability and wish to request that a reasonable accommodation, be provided for you to participate in a job interview, please contact: Department of Labor, Attn: Director, Division of Equal Opportunity and Development (DEOD), Building 12, Albany, NY 12240 (Phone (518) 457-1984 and/or fax (518) 485-2575.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.