Minimum Qualifications To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law.
If a viable eligible list does not exist, a provisional appointment may be made in accordance with Civil Service Law. Candidates who accept a provisional appointment must take the next competitive examination and be reachable on the resultant eligible list in order to be considered for permanent appointment to the position.
The minimum requirements for taking the examination are:
You must be a qualified employee of the New York State Department of Transportation and have had three months of permanent competitive, non-competitive, 55-b/55-c, or labor class service as follows:
Bridge Repair Assistant, Construction Equipment Operator, Equipment Operator Instructor, General Mechanic, Trades Generalist, Highway Equipment Operator, Highway Maintenance Worker 1, Highway Maintenance Worker 2, Maintenance Assistant, Pavement Marking Supervisor, Sign Crew Supervisor, Tree Pruner, Tree Pruner Supervisor, Bridge Repair Mechanic, Trades Specialist (Bridge), Assistant Drill Rig Operator, or Drill Rig Operator.
Important: Experience as a Highway Maintenance Worker Trainee 1 or Highway Maintenance Worker Trainee 2 is NOT qualifying for this examination.
Only the title or titles listed are qualifying.
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
Open Competitive Exam
Either 1: two years of experience in the construction or maintenance of paved highways, streets, roads, or similar facilities;
Or 2: 30 semester credit hours in engineering, engineering technology, construction technology, forestry, or surveying AND one year of the experience described above;
Or 3: a diploma or certificate of completion in carpentry, masonry, welding, or construction from a post- secondary trade school, apprenticeship program, or military construction specialty school* AND one year of the experience described above.
*NOTE: Acceptable military training may include documented completion of United States Army 14-Week Corp of Engineers “Field 12”, United States Navy Construction Force “A” and United States Navy Construction Force “C” schools “Navy Seabees”, United States Marine Corps Combat Engineers “MOS1371” school, or United States Air Force Civil Engineer Force “Prime BEEF” or “RED HORSE” training. Training schools must accompany one follow-on duty station in said field.
Important: High school BOCES or VO-TECH courses are NOT Qualifying.
Your degree or college credit must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by a
regional, national, or specialized agency recognized as an accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education/U.S. Secretary of Education. If your degree or college credit was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the NYS Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. This information can also be found on the Internet at http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/degrees.cfm. You must pay the required evaluation fee. If you are applying on the Internet, you must mail the independent verification of equivalency to the New York State Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239. Attention: S2CAV
1. Drug Testing: Prior to appointment, you will be required to participate in a drug-screening test and are responsible for the clinical lab fee. Failure to meet the standards may result in your disqualification.
2. Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
3. New York State residence is not required.
At the time of appointment and continuously thereafter, candidates will be required to have a valid New York State Class A or B Commercial Driver's License with no air brake restriction.
Appointees will be required to satisfactorily complete a “one-person plowing” certification program which the
Department of Transportation will offer during the probationary period.
Cannabis use is not permitted for employees in this title and assignment. Cannabis use will be tested for during the pre-employment screening process and may be the basis for disqualification for employment or may be a basis for removal from employment.
Duties Description A Highway Maintenance Supervisor 1 supervises and works with a crew of workers/operators performing highway and facility maintenance and repair, and snow removal/ice control activities. Duties may include but are not limited to:
• Supervise and make individual assignments to a work crew performing highway maintenance, facility maintenance, and snow and ice duties. These projects might include patching pavement and filling potholes; clean ditches and culverts; drainage rehabilitation; cut trees, shrubs and grass repair guide rails and signs; and plow roads and apply anti-icing materials on pavements in the winter;
• Provide equipment & material for jobs according to instructions and operational guidelines;
• Instruct crew members in the tasks to be performed, all safety requirements and answer any questions concerning before mentioned procedures;
• Personally observe work in progress and work completed to insure conformance to all applicable operational, quality and safety guidelines and instructions;
• On large maintenance projects, the candidate might supervise a phase of the project under the general direction of a Highway Maintenance Supervisor 2;
• Answer and respond to emergency calls outside of regular work hours;
• Maintain accurate time and attendance records and work progress, materials and equipment used records and reports as required in MMS;
• Perform any task required of subordinate workers, as necessary;
• Operate equipment, including light trucks, heavy dump trucks and other equipment and snow plows (OPP Cert Required) as required and perform snow and ice control; be available for emergency call out within 1 (one) hour;
• Knowledgeable in S & I control methods;
• Appointee will be required to satisfactorily complete a double wing certification program which the Department of Transportation will offer. This needs to be done as soon as possible, but no later than the completion of the probationary period;
• Complete all required training HMS 1 (including supervisory and OTETA Reasonable Suspicion training) and ensure staff compliance with policies and procedures;
• Working knowledge of methods, equipment and materials used for the reconstruction, repair and maintenance of highways, drainage structures and related facilities;
• Must be able to design, install, maintain and remove lane and shoulder closures in accordance with current guidelines based on roadway conditions;
Must possess strong communication skills to foster communication between the workers, HMS 2 and management.
Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Additional Comments Qualified candidates should submit a current resume, letter of interest and a completed NYS Dept. of Transportation Application for Employment (S1000 Part 1) with Notice Number R04-23-135 included in the subject line and referenced in the cover letter to:
Lisa M. Schuster
Administrative Services Director
New York State Department of Transportation- Region 4
1530 Jefferson Rd.
Rochester, NY 14623
***PLEASE INCLUDE R04-23-135 IN SUBJECT LINE***
Applications and resumes must be received or postmarked no later than December 16, 2023.
The starting salary for this position is $59,347. This amount is comprised of the base salary of $50,347 with an additional geographic pay differential of $9,000, specific to this title and location.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
The New York State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, minority group members, disabled persons and Veterans are encouraged to apply. Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be provided for the disabled.
In compliance with Public Law 99-603, candidates selected for appointment must provide an original document to prove their citizenship and/or legal right to work in the United States.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.