249 Glenwood Rd
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be in title, eligible for transfer, or reachable on the Civil Service Eligible List for this title. In the event there is not viable eligible list, provisional appointment will be considered.
If appointed on provisional status, you must participate in the next Civil Service examination(s) and be a reachable candidate to obtain permanent status and maintain your position.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
The Office Assistant 1 position may be assigned to one or multiple areas of the Business Office including auditing, purchasing, transportation and accounts payable. The individual assigned to this position is responsible for receiving and reviewing Visa Statements from cardholders; reconciling Visa charges in the Statewide Financial System; receiving and distributing cash and checks; processing Visa payments; ensuring purchases are made according to procedures and guidelines; performing audits of expenditures made with individuals’ Personal Allowance funds; ensuring invoices are submitted according to pre-established requirements; submitting invoices for payment; and compiling data for reports.
This title may be responsible for preparing transportation documentation; tracking vehicle mileage sheets and hold-down checklists; updating fleet log spreadsheets; reviewing and logging all monthly reports including fuel expenses, vehicle services, Individual transport, quantity of vehicles, etc; compiling accident report documentation; answering phone and email correspondence regarding vehicle issues and maintenance; tracking fuel cards and fuel keys; ensuring policies are up to date and implemented according to OPWDD requirements; and tracking department inventory (mechanical supplies and vehicle parts, tires, etc.)
The position requires computer knowledge, an aptitude for working with numbers, the ability to multi-task, organizational skills, and the ability to work well with others. A person in this position will review documents, verify information, and process work in accordance with State rules and regulations.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Type, proofread, review, and correct correspondence, documents, records, and other written material.
• Transcribe hand-written materials.
• Make appropriate corrections for format, accuracy, and validity.
• Assist in gathering or compiling data for reports, graphs, charts, tables, or other products.
• Create graphs, charts, or other visual aids to display data.
• May also prepare routine reports or assist others in the preparation of reports, following established guidelines.
• Details to be discussed at interview.
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Provide excellent customer service.
Additional Comments PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Candidates will be expected to demonstrate and will be evaluated against the following criteria:
• Must be very organized and comfortable working in a dynamic environment
• Candidate must be able to provide good customer service and the ability to work in a team environment.
• Candidate must be able to understand and carry out written or oral instructions
The successful bidder to this posting is advised that it will be their responsibility to discuss, with their new supervisor, any previously approved time off. There is no guarantee the new unit will be able to honor previously approved time off.
• If you are currently a New York State employee serving in a permanent competitive qualifying title and eligible for a transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law, you may be appointed to this title as a permanent competitive employee.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• The assignment of PS&T employees will be made in accordance with any agreed upon Memorandum of Understanding between PEF and the local DDSO regarding the posting of job vacancies
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• If you are employed by state government you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that they need a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office at (518) 473-4785 or Email at email@example.com to obtain information and RA forms.
NYS offers Incredible Benefits!
• Savings programs such as the U.S. Savings Bond and the College Savings Plan.
• Voluntary pre-tax savings programs such as Health Care Spending Account and the Dependent Care Advantage Account offer employees options to pay for uncovered health care expenses or dependent care expenses.
• Access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) an assessment and referral service that connects employees with local service providers and support services to address their personal needs.
• Life insurance and Disability insurance.
• The New York State Deferred Compensation Plan is a voluntary retirement plan that offers employees the option to invest a part of their salaries for retirement on a tax-deferred basis.
Paid Holidays and Leave
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays each year.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave
• Five (5) days paid personal leave each year.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave each year (PEF/CSEA), which may carry over from year to year.
• Up to three (3) days professional leave each year to participate in professional development events.
Health Care Coverage
Employees and their eligible dependents can choose from a variety of affordable health insurance programs. Employees are provided family dental and vision plans at no extra cost.
Participate in The NYS Employees’ Retirement System (ERS), which is recognized as one of the best-managed and best-funded public retirement systems in the nation.
Professional Development and Education and Training
NYS offers training programs and tuition assistance to eligible employees to maintain and increase their professional skills and prepare them for promotional opportunities. For more information, please visit https://goer.ny.gov/training-and-professional-development.
Additionally, the Public Service Workshops Program (PSWP) offers certain professional training opportunities for PEF represented and M/C designated employees that may grant continuing education credits towards maintaining professional licensure. For more information, please visit https://oer.ny.gov/public-service-workshops-program-pswp.
• OPWDD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer dedicated to creating and sustaining a culture of inclusion. We believe that we are most effective in managing and improving our service system with a diverse team of employees. With such a large workforce, we rely on the collective individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, self-expression, ideas and talent that our employees bring to their work. This speaks to our culture and is a key part of our successes. As we continuously recruit people for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that applicants bring in terms of their education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
249 Glenwood Rd
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION PROCEDURE:
Submit Response to Posting form, cover letter, and résumé by December 14, 2023, to:
Broome DDSOO Human Resources Office
249 Glenwood Road
Binghamton, NY 13905
Please reference EOA # Broome - 231214B in all correspondence