Minimum Qualifications 70.1 TRANSFER QUALIFICATIONS:
One year of permanent, contingent permanent, or 55 B/C service allocated to a Grade 6 or higher eligible for transfer and determined to be similar by Civil Service.
Some titles eligible for transfer require special qualifications. For transfers, a list of approved titles is available through Civil Service GOT-IT at https://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/gotit/.
55 B/C QUALIFICATIONS:
Current permanent non-competitive state employees certified eligible for the 55 B/C program under the Governor's Program to Hire Persons/Veterans with Disabilities pursuant to Section 55 B/C of the Civil Service Law will also be considered. To be considered, you must provide a copy of your letter of eligibility with your response.
KEYBOARDING EXAM QUALIFICATIONS:
Candidates who have not previously served in a keyboarding title will be required to pass the Keyboarding exam. According to Civil Service, a passing score is the ability to demonstrate a speed of 30 words per minute with at least 96% accuracy within 5 minutes prior to appointment.
Duties Description The Administrative Assistant 1 provides administrative, and staff support to the Office of the General Counsel. The duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Answer phones for the Office of General Counsel, direct them as needed or take a detailed message when someone is unavailable.
• Check and distribute incoming mail, paper, and email.
• Manage all deadlines in accordance with legal timeframes.
• Provide organizational and non-legal transactional assistance to attorneys, including but not limited to organizational calendars, scheduling meetings, organizing files, photocopying/organizing exhibits, contacting parties to an action at times, returning calls to specific inquiries, tracking Inspector General requests, and FOIL appeals.
• Maintain the law library of the Office of General Counsel, updating as new volumes or updates come in; update or mail 11 sets of McKinney pocket parts yearly; track publications borrowed from the library; process Invoices requiring approval from upper management and forwarding to Fiscal for payment.
• Order publications from the NYS Library when requested, either electronic or physical copies, and distribute to requesting party.
• Upload WEST CD-ROM Library Update Disks to the shared drive, email a notification to attorneys with the name of the publication updated, the date, and where to find it on the shared (G) drive.
• Work with legal staff when requested to make document changes after attorney’s review; make copies for office records and mail and/or email copies to parties.
• Assist Legislative Counsel with legislative tracking and comment submission, including use of the LRS (Legislative Retrieval System).
• Distribute final rulemaking documents.
• Coordinate Appeals when received for the Special Deputy to the Secretary of State for Appeals.
• Process and submit Expense Reports for the General Counsel, utilizing the appropriate per diems and mileage rates for each trip.
• Process Onboarding and Offboarding forms for new and existing interns or employees.
• Maintain Office equipment; submit supply & purchase requisitions; photocopy, fax, and scan documents; process Counsel’s Office mail; handle Reasonable Accommodations requests, etc.
Additional Comments The Department of State is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. We celebrate diversity and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, veteran status, disability status, arrest record or criminal conviction history, or any other category protected by law.
We are happy to provide reasonable and religious accommodations during the hiring process for those in need. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please send a request to HRM.Recruitment@dos.ny.gov.
NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: The Department of State employees may be approved for a maximum of 50% telecommuting, however, they are required to apply and obtain approval through management in accordance with The Department of State Telecommuting Program Guidelines.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingIf you are interested and meet the minimum qualifications above, email your cover letter, resume, and New York State Part 1 Application (https://dos.ny.gov/employment-opportunities) to HRM.Recruitment@dos.ny.gov. Please include Title, Location and Vacancy ID # you are applying for in the subject line of your email.